can a parent take the door off a teenage girls bedroom, isnt it an invasion of privacy?

dont we all have a right to our privacy, can something be done legally if he does this to her?? she is 16, and adopted she deserves her privacy. everyone needs a place they can go to be alone. when i was a teenager my bedroom was my safe haven i hate to think of her losing hers, thanks!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think it really all depends on the kind of child she is, but if it's being removed to allow heat into the rest of the house then maybe they should rethink the living arrangments if it's causing issues within the home.

On a side note Blessed5x my husband is the father of my 4 month old twins, he is the stepfather of my 2 boys. He is, however, the only father figure they know (by the choice of their biological father). I think it may be the differences in our situations but I do have to respectfully disagree with your statement that step-parents should not have a hand in the discipline of children.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My stepfather took the door off of my bedroom and CPS told him that he had to put the door back up. My stepfather was abusive and controlling. When I left my bedroom light on at night, he would destroy my bedroom the next day. He would literally take my droors out of my dresser and kick in the bottoms. He would shred my mattress and my clothes also. My dad bought me a music box when I was 4 and when I was 12 my stepdad smashed it because I wore one of his shirts by accident. Your daughter IS required to have privacy at that age.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think that privacy is a priviledge when you live in your parent's home. Certain rule violations like smoking, having sex, or doing drugs in your bedroom, should result in drastic consequences. However, removing that privacy for any little reason is ridiculous. It is not however, illegal.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I say that if her "parents" are petty enough to take her bedroom door off then there is more going on than just that. LISTEN to your daughter and if she tells you that something is going on BELIEVE her! My mom chose to remain blind to what my stepdad did and I no longer associate with her now.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• "It is not however, illegal."

It WAS in the 90s when I was a teenager. DHR/SS/CPS whatever you want to call it told him that he cannot remove my bedroom door as a form of punishment.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I was wondering about the reason behind her parents' decision. so unless you know the real situation you can not be fair in judging.
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 8:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree, if there is something going on, I wouldn't remove the door, but I would make her leave it open when I was there, to make sure everything was ok. If she's smoking, doing drugs, or having sex, then yes, make her leave the door open, but don't take it off.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with avasmommy810 comment above, if there is more going on than just that.
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 8:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Ok, I used to smoke pot and cigarettes in my room, I used to cut myself and write in blood in my room because I was running around with a bunch of "witches" at school, I used to skip school to have sex in my room...and if I didn't have a door, betcha a whole hell of a lot of that wouldn't have happened. She shouldn't be forced to change her clothes with no door, but if she is acting up and doing wild and crazy things, hell yeah I would take it off!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't have a problem with taking the door off. As a matter of fact we have told our kids this when they thought they needed to slam them in our faces when they were mad at us. They didn't do that anymore and they kept their doors.

It's not illegal or wrong, I think it's a form of discipline. But if it's a situation where CPS is involved or could be potentially, then they're not going to go along with it. When their nose is in it, there are other issues involved.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2008