Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Advice for someone about to file for divorce?

I'm in Nevada and have a 3 y.o with this man. Just wondering about ..........well everything, I don't even know where to start.


Asked by jamiesuev22 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

Level 8 (264 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Go to the courthouse and ask where to pick up a divorce packet. Mine cost me $25 in GA. Once you fill it out they should have free legal help there to help with filing.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Memigen at 12:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Just calm your nerves, do the right thing, act like an adult. Good luck

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • start by going and getting the paper work. it asks about every aspect. what you want out of the divorce, if he is going to fight hard you might think about contacting a lawyer.

    Answer by cassie_m at 12:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • First you have to decide how to file. Are you in agreement on everything or is there fighting back and forth about stuff? Do you agree on custody and child support of the baby? Do you own a home, property or vehicles? If it is uncontested and agree it will be a lot cheaper for everyone concerned. If not, you need a good family law attorney. Take the high road and avoid confrontations.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Contact a lawyer to ensure everything is done properly.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Get a lawyer and be an adult like. Remember that not everything is fair. What else would you like to know?

    Answer by raemommy at 12:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • I would rethink everything. Is there any way you can work it out? I would try anything possible to give it a chance. I have been married 18 years. Some of that was great and a lot of it was terrible, I am very glad we stuck out the bad times.

    Answer by mompam at 12:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • I've re thought everything a million times and know for certain it will never work out. I could stay and be miserable and teach my child that it's ok to have a dysfunctional relationship where there is no love, care or concern for the other person or I could try and start a new life for myself and my child. I just don't know the first thing about divorce, my rights as far as my daughter is concerned etc. We have nothing besides our daughter so I know that part of it will make it easier but I'm just scared scared scared! Im a sahm and have no income of my own ........looks like I need to start at the court house. I didn't even realize there was a "divorce packet"

    Comment by jamiesuev22 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • There is a divorce packet, and you can file everything yourself, representing yourself. But there can be issues that arise....I filed for everything myself in the beginning and represented myself, but my now ex wanted to fight me on everything and was filing motions here requests there, and delayed everything substantially. And the court system is no help at all if you are representing myself. So finally, about 6 months after filing, when it was getting nowhere, I ended up hiring an attorney, and with her help was finally officially divorced after another 3 months. I am still upset about the fact that it ended up that I had to hire an attorney, because I was getting nowhere between the court system and my ex because I ended up having to spend money that I just didnt really have to spend.

    Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Don't do it.

    Answer by tasches at 1:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010