I have a 3month old son and I am wanting to start working out at the gym again. Is it okay to leave him in the nursery at the YMCA?? I am worried about germs. colds, etc....

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 8:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You've got to be the one to make the call there. If you've checked out their child care area and sanitation procedures and you are comfortable with them, go ahead. Most gyms do not require previous child care experience in their staff, but most require a background check. That being said, employees aren't always too experienced with kids. I'd check it out and see what you think. In the meantime, try to do workouts that can be done from home or at the park. FiTV has great programs you can DVR, most digital cables have on-demand workouts, and the websites for Self, Fitness and Shape magazines offer a lot of great workouts for outside of the gym! Good luck!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i'd say go for it. when i returned to the y my son was 8 weeks old and my other two boys were 4 & 5. i always take them to the nursey at the y and have never had any problems or illness. their nursery follows the same guidelines as a licensed day care as far as disinfecting toys and cleanliness. If my kids were ill i wouldn't take them there, that just seems common sense to me the best place for them is home and rest, i put the kids needs before my own when it comes to a bit of exercise. if you notice someone is sick then i'd reconsider for that day, but hopefully most parents feel the need to keep an ill kid home.
    my3boys541

Answer by my3boys541 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Check out the childcare facility and then decide. Unless you keep your child in the house all the time they will be exposed to germs.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• if you trust the place then it should be fine. as for germs and colds the sooner they get them the quicker it builds up their immune system
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 11:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2008