What smaller car fits three carseats across the backseat?

In the future my husband and I are going to buy a second car. One that gets better gas milage. However, we will have three kids under three in February. Which means we're going to be having carseats for quite sometime across the backseats. Does anyone know any small cars that fit three carseats?

We will have three Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 carseats after the youngest is out of an infant carseat. Which is also a Graco I believe. Ideally I would buy a big truck with an extended cab, but they don't exactly have the greatest gas milage. Therefore, we're looking for something smaller.

Any ideas?

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 12:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Travel

• My husband and I just bought a Jeep Patriot it's not too big not too small gets ~25 mpg and according to the manual fits 3 car seats. You also might check out a Dodge Caliber, I had one, and I'd imagine it might be big enough for 3.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Just remember that the carseats need to be resting on the seats and NOT touching the doors, and there needs to be space in between all carseats for it to be considered safe. Cramming carseats into a backseat can be VERY dangerous in any vehicle.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My cavalier managed to support a car seat, an infant car seat, and a booster seat with no problems. I want something bigger so bad though!! We've driven from VA to WI like this many times.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't know, I have a minivan and the mileage is pretty good. I could fit 5 carseats in mine. I had a Ford Focus before and I couldn't even fit one rear facing seat, so i know 3 wouldnt fit
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That is going to be very hard, lol. I have a SUV and 3 carseats don't fit across the backseat safely.. My SO has a extended cab truck and 3 carseats won't fit across his back seat safely either.. That's why we are purchasing a mini van soon.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Our Mitsubishi Mirage, 4 door, fits three seats across the back. The middle seat belt is only a lap belt though and it's a tight squeeze. We do it sometimes when we have our daughter and two nieces with us. Kyra and one niece are in boosters though while the other is in a forward facing 5point seat. Not a bad fit, we put the young one in the middle then let the other two get in.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have a focus and have fit 2 and am pretty sure I could get a 3rd inthere
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My Dodge Neon will fit two FF and one RF car seats in the back seat. The FF have to be behind the driver and passenger seats and the RF has to be in the middle. But obviously that wouldn't work for you long term, I think your best bet would be some kind of jeep or minivan.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Pontiac Grand Am's are fairly small with good gas mileage and we could always fit 3 car seats in the back when needed.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My little brother has one of the Neon Cube's and it is a good sized vehicle that gets outstanding gas mileage (30+ miles to the gallon).
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010