Are you (or your spouse) an ENT or dr?

Because I have a question. Before someone jumps my ass and says "go to the dr" - I have no insurance and no way of paying for a dr. With that being said...
My throat is killing me. I think it may be my tonsils, but IDK. It started off as a swelled feeling "under the backside of my tongue" a few weeks ago... now its both sides and I can't swallow. Liquids hurt, sucking hurts (tried pureed food through a straw) - it HURTS to chew (jaw movement, I guess but not if I talk, just chewing) Sometimes I feel like I CANT swallow. I've also got really thick (not mucus-y) saliva. No high fever, no chills, no hoarse voice. I can't open my mouth wide, as it HURTS too bad. If you need more info, ask... but do you have any ideas what it could be? Also, for soft foods/liquids, if I try to move it to the back of my mouth w/ my tongue, it hurts and feels heavy and swollen...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Health

• I'm not a doctor, but this sounds very serious. If you cannot eat, you have to go to the ER. If you let this infection get worse, you could end up being ADMITTED into the hospital and have to pay for that instead of going and getting checked now as an outpatient, and getting antibiotics to help now. It'd be much cheaper now. Don't wait until you've lost a huge amount of weight from not being able to eat. You will not do your family any good that way.

You could have bronchitis. It could be strep. It could be some other time of infection. Don't let an infection continue. Over the counter drugs will not help. You definitely need something stronger. I really hope you feel better soon mama. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 12:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'm not a doctor or anything.. Just wanted to let you know that you probably still need to be seen by a doctor. Taking advice on-line from someone who doesn't know your medical history is very dangerous.. And how do you know if the person is really a doctor or not?! Just saying...

Good luck.. Hope you feel better. Maybe there is a free clinic in your area..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• ok lol not "jumpin ya" but you do need to be seen. you can go to the er, they have to see you-then when you get insurance, it may be retroactive and pay for it. even if not tho, you can either continue to get worse...and NOt be able to swallow, ect..and maybe ...die? or you can take the hit. you def need an antibiotic or some sort of medication.an allergic reaction would not last this olong, and you could trace something you ingested, this sounds more like tonsils or throat damage...which could be many things, including cancer. not trying to freak you out but...its important. good luck mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• wanted to add as well, even a "real" doc on here is not going to diagnose you online. and again the er cannot refuse to see you because you have no money. its illegal for them to refuse to treat anyone.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The emergency room has to see you. I would still go. It sounds like you have some sort of infection or something which is going to require antibiotics to treat properly.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• the er HAS to see you, if they dont ask to see the er manager-IT'S ILLEGAL.in all the states, its illegal to turn an individual away for lack of payment.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have had no insurance before andhad repeated bladder infections.. i hate to say i would go to the ER at least they bill you, if your in cali they have a discount program for prescriptions http://www.californiarxcard.com/index.php there is the link to get help. Wish you luck sounds like you have a nasty infection just in your tonsils which is very possible, i would get to er asap before it spreads to your sinus and ears (that happened to me once, also you could have a sinus infection)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am sorry you have not been treated right away from the er probably due to not having medical insurance, don't take no for an answer! persistance pays off, maybe go to another er.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• There's not - but if I can get an idea of what it may be, maybe there's something I can do at home to care for it. If I go to the ER they wont even look - trust me, been there, done that. Maybe someone had an experience like this? I dont know. I would like to be able to eat... I'm so hungry but can't get anything down - the pain is too much to handle...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010