What is the point of voting someone down?

I get that sometimes people are rude and that is why some people vote others down, but when it's just a difference of opinion isn't it sort of petty to use a down vote? And why are we not allowed to see who votes us down? I guess I just don't get it. I haven't lost points for being voted down before, but it seems sort of like a little gift to those that like to abuse it anonymously.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Better to take your temper out on nameless/faceless women on here anonymously than on your kids I guess? Nothing comes of it, you only loose points if you answered anon and were voted down. I don't see the big deal. On the few times I've been downvoted, I just laugh and wonder if the person feels better :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I don't even care anymore. As it's become more common, it's not really an insult. People use it stupidly, so I keep that in mind when I get voted down, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have not yet used that, but I do run across answers that are blatantly wrong and I would vote them down.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am not sure.. I only vote people down for bad answers to questions. I think that if you were able to see who voted you down, it would just cause more unnecessary drama.. And we all know this website doesn't need anymore drama!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Its a "There! I showed you! Gave you a downvote!" instead of calling her out.

I'd rather be called out than play guess who the anonymous coward is this week. Downvoting is the new anonymous trolling, only now its even accessible to the ones who can't even pretend to back up their opinions. Since they stripped it of having any power over the people being downvoted (unless their anon, in which case, sucks to be them), I don't really care, but they never should have put the option in when they knew it would never be used as they intended.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I vote down for rudeness only--or if they are being completely ridiculous.! I wish we could vote down under our name though.. I hate all anon features.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I downvote when someone is extremely rude, mean, or they are giving out false information-never to be petty or because they disagree with me. as for the anons? if they are voted down enough(lets say for a rude answer0 it will be removed, which i think is cool because then the anons have to be a lil less mean. but as another mom said, I dont really care anymore. no matter what system they use here, there will be moms who abuse it, its just how it is. so instead I focus on trying tio support moms who want it, and ignore those who just want to be abusive. best weapon is ignoring...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Originally you could see who was voting down but then people complained and they changed it to stop stalking potentials. Originally people did lose points for getting voted down but then people complained because it was fair to lose points for an unpopular opinion. Now only the anons get shafted because they aren't wanted here anyway except for the most sensitive type questions and and answers. I have only seen a collapsed answer once. It's hard to get 6 vote downs in the places I hang out.

It does get used to collapse bad information and I like that can be used for that. Unfortunately there is no way to enforce that it is used only for that because a lot of people see an opinion other than theirs as "bad facts" rather than a differing point of view.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Its helped with the fights that went on when the women would practically scratch each other's eyes out over their comments. Its a "There! I showed you! Gave you a downvote!" instead of calling her out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yea I really hate the down voting thing. The other day there was a circumcision question and anytime someone contradicted with the majority even if it was civil they were down voted. Just for contradicting the OP!!!
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010