My son had a sleep over with two other boys (14 & 15 yrs.) I noticed that they had gone outside sometime in the night. A big no no. Do I tell their parents? Or just have a talk with them about the rules when they get up?

momofne

Asked by momofne at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• that's to much responsability on you if somthing happened to them or if they got in to trouble,i would tell the parents and they should know if you are nice enough to let them have a sleep over they should respect you enough to obey your rules!!! good luck
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 10:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I would at first talk to them. If you see that they are unresponsive tell them & especially your son the consequences for breaking that rule. If they are generally rule breakers or disrespectful then I would continue to talk to them and let them know that you will be talking to their parents. You may decide they're not the best friends for your son. I've had some problems like these and I've talked to all the moms about getting together and having a "talk session" with each other and then with the teens. This way they'll know we're all on the same page. God bless!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 10:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I am not sure if I would tell the parents or not, but I would for sure have a serious talk with them all when they get up.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• You are capable of handling this with a talk. However, I would tell them that if it happens again you will discuss it with their parents and if they can't follow the rules then they cannot come back.Follow it with that you enjoyed having them and it would be a shame if they couldn't come back. Make it their responsibility to adhere to the rules or face consequences.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i would definately talk to the kids about it and definatly tell the parents about it, they need to know so they could follow up on this big No No
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• hey MOMOFNE _ my childhood HERO was WonderWoman! that is so Kool !!!!!
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 12:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I met her(Linda Carter) wonderwoman, i was about 6 or 7, she worked part time as a bartender in NewJersey, my parents took me to meet her, and she made me a (virgin) Shirleytemple! SO Kool!!
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 12:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• LETS PUT IT THIS WAY, IF YOUR SON SPENT THE NIGHT WITH FRIENDS AND THEY WENT OUT DURING THE NIGHT / WOULD'NT YOU WANT THE PARENTS TO TELL YOU? OR WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO KEEP FROM YOU WHAT YOUR SON DOES? TELL THEM!
    Anonymous

• I would have a serious talk with the boys and their parents!! Like the PP said, if your son did this while he was spending the night at a friends house, wouldn't you want to know so you could deal with him? I'd tell the parents so they can deal with their kids how they see fit.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yeah, I would do both, talk to the boys first, then matter of factly let the parents know that you talked with them and what you said.

That elliminates any he said-she said stuff and makes the parents aware of what happened and how you dealt with it.

It doesn't have to be handled like a big deal...just matter of factly.
    Triessence

Answer by Triessence at 2:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2008