Is this just a new faze my 3.5 year old is going through? What can I do to help?

My son will be 3.5 years old this month. Bed time has been awful, crying and screaming for my husband or I. Rescenlty he wakes up crying for his daddy after he has left for work. He says things like "I want my Daddy back, Where's Daddy", etc. He's also doing the same sort of thing when we go to drop him off at his Sunday school class or when I attend my Mommy and Me group. He says, "I want you Mommy/Daddy", "I want you back." He took off running down the hallway yesterday at the Mommy and Me group. Once we got him into his classroom he was fine. Is this just a new "faze?" Is there anything I can do to help him? I forgot to mention that we've moved from our old house (only place he knows as home) and moved into an apartment for a while. He seemed like his "normal self" for the first few weeks here. Thanks ladies.

Marybeth

Asked by Marybeth at 8:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Probably just a phase...you could try getting him a watch and getting the alarm for when Daddy should be home, or when Mommy and Daddy will pick him up from Sunday School, etc. I would probably set it for 5 or 10 min later than you expect so that if your a little late, he won't freak out. You could also give him a picture of Mom and Dad to keep in his pocket "So that you are always with him" He's just feeling insecure right now, probably because of the move....help him to regain that safe feeling.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• yes it is a phase both my children went through this my youngest will be 4 in Jan and she is still sometimes clingy
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008