Are flat irons created equally?

lol....meaning, do I need to spend an arm and a leg or can I get a decent one for cheap?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• No, they aren't created equally. I bought my first flat iron (metal plates) about 9 years ago and it was awful...my hair got caught and pulled out a lot and it really made the ends of my hair super dry and brittle. The good news is most companies are making better quality (ceramic, or non-metal) irons now, so you will have some choices. I use the Herstyler brand, but a few of my friends swear by Chi. Their both about $100. If you don't want to spend that much, try a $20 - $30 iron that at least has ceramic plates.
    NaturalMomma219

Answer by NaturalMomma219 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No, they aren't, but you can buy a mid priced one..I'd choose ceramic.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Noooo. I've had at least 5 different flat irons.

The first 4 I got from WalMart/Target. They were always Conair or some similar brand - all were 40 bucks or less. I'd have to go over the same chunk of hair 5 or 6 times to get the desired effect. Finally, I got smart and spent a little over 100 bucks on a Baby Bliss flat iron....

and it takes LESS than half the former time for me to do my hair. It's awesome. LOVE IT.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• NO NO NO!! :) I tell my customers not to purchase from wal mart or target, they are ceramic coated metal plates, not true ceramic. Metal plates burn the hair and cause breakage over time. Also tourmaline is a great one! i SPENT $98 on my infrashine iron. But I tell my clients if they can't afford that you can get an decent one for about $45 to $50 at a beauty supply store that sells to the public. Also ladies!! Use protection!lol Thermal setting spray, or heat protectant in your hair makes the job quicker and easier.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I love my CHI. I've had a Conair and a Revlon before...they didn't straighten well, my hair would get stuck in the iron, they pulled...they were terrible. I finally broke down and bought my CHI...best money I've ever spent. Do it...you won't regret it!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 1:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have a cheapo one and hate it! A friend let me use her chi and it was AMAZING!!!! I want one so bad!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The cheap ones have never worked as well for me. I now have a Maxi Glide and a Chi and they are both wonderful. I got the Maxi Glide on sale for $60 about 3 years ago and my Chi about 4 years ago on sale for $70.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• no, flat irons are NOT created equally... BUT you don't have to spend an arm and leg on for a good one. I dont much care for conair or revlon, but here are some brands that aren't overly pricey but affordable and of decent quality:

chi

bedhead1

bedhead 2

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i have often wondered the same thing..eager to see your responses so i can buy one for my sd!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have a Remington digital ceramic tourmaline iron. It works great. I can usually get it straightened in one swipe and it stays that way. I use CHI or GHB heat protectors while I am using it. I bought it at Target for less than $50.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010