How can I get my girls to clean their room with out argueing about ?

I have 2 girls that are 13 and 12 , you can not walk in their rooms. When asked to clean it they will argue that is clean.I have tried about everything that I can think of. HELP please

racer09

Asked by racer09 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Bribery!

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Positive re enforcements may be in order, keeping room clean for a month, new ipod. OR taking away phone and computer until it's done, depends on where you are at with it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If they get an allowance make it based on their room being clean. If they don't get an allowance (or refuse to do it because they lose their allowance) tell them to clean their room. Wait a couple of hours, if it is not clean go in and gather everything that is out of place into a garbage bag. Tell them they don't get back what is in the bag for one week, and the next time you have to do it, you will throw everything in the bag away!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• mommy11260 I do the garbage bag thing with my 4yo! It works too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Hi - not sure why this is an issue with so many, but here goes. I have three kids 17, 14 and 8. They are expected to keep their rooms clean, not asked. First, do they really know what clean is? You may need to show them the first time. Once they know, hHere's how I handle it: 1) NO computer, friends, phone, going out, dance lessons, etc. until their room is clean, daily. 2) any child 12 or over is capable of doing their own laundry, and being responsible for it. Believe me, this makes a huge difference. You are less likely to throw that item of clothing on the floor if you will have to wash it, or wear it wrinkled. If you child has no clean clothes - not your problem. It's theirs. 3) If all else fails, I have followed thru on pitching/charity for anything left on the floor. Give your child 24 hours notice - and then tell them that anything not put away obviously has no value to them, and GIVE IT AWAY and do not replace it.
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• This is one battle I don't worry about in my home, it may sound a little weird but I don't care if my boys clean their room. I figure they are the one's that have to live in there, not me. The only guests in our home are their friends and if they want their friends to think they are pigs then so be it.
    That being said the rest of the house however is something else, it is common space and is cleaned by every one. It is where we eat, where we hang out, where we converse, where our guests get their first impressions. There is never an argument about the rest of the house being clean.
    When they get tired of climbing over clothes, they clean their room...in fact they recently came downstairs with about 7 bags of stuff for me to take to the goodwill. (They are 12 & 15 so we don't have toys to worry about, just clothes and vacuuming)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010