my daughter wants to read vampire books

does anyone know of good ones for 9-12 yearolds other then the twlight series?

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I read one Twilight book and was put off by Edward. JMO, but I found his behavior of Bella to be borderline abusive and stalker-like. To me, it's not romantic to be told to whom I can talk, where I can go, etc. and if I wake up and a strange vampire is watching me sleep, well I'd stake first and ask questions later. :) What about Christopher Pike or Rachel Caine?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I'm a good ol' fashioned Anne Rice fan. That's what I was reading at that age... And the "classics" like Dracula (which aren't all vampire of course).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Cirque Du Freak:The Vampires Assistant it is a series. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod another series.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• oh yeah...Bram Stokers Dracula and Anne Rice's Vampire series.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• the house of night is pretty good but I'm not sure if you would really want her reading it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Hmm. Why are you against the Twilight series? I read before my teen and tween (girl and a boy), and it's like Pride and Prejudice meets the vampire world. Reiterated to my teen daughter that she DESERVES to be treated like a lady. Also reinforced the no sex before marriage thing, that is a bad thing why? Just my thoughts. Many vampire series are full of sex stuff. I found that many of the books in the 9-12 section of the public library are full of profanity and sex (and not just the normal stuff, mind you). Blew my mind. When I asked the librarian if this was appropriate for this age group, she accused me of wanting to censor books, and informed me that many "progressive" children are quite ready for this type of thing. Sorry for the soapbox, I just happen to think all tweens/teens should read the Twilight series!
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i like the house of night books, and there isnt really anything to sexual about them, also umm prey and the books that follow are good but may be a lil inappoprate for that age
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• how bout Vampire Kisses. . . those are really cute books. . . I love them! or Vampire Island books. . . those are two series that are good kid/tween friendly vampire books. Also The House of Night is a good series for that too.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Twilight is fine for that age. I'm sure all her friends read it. I read it recently expecting sex in it, and found there is absolutely none. Only a kiss.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• oh also there is a vampire twist for Little Women called Little Vampire Women. . . I haven't read it yet but it is supposed to have good reviews.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010