Is Hormel Natural Turkey deli meat okay to eat while pregnant?? Or should we stay away from that too?

I know it doesn't have the nitrates most deli meat has but I'm wondering if it has less of a chance to get the Listeria bacteria from it or if it's just the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would stay away from it my midwives said that anything that had the word nitrates somewhere in the ingredients list i should not eat
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I had sandwiches and stuff when i was pregnant i dont see why not
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I ate lunch meat throughout both my pregnancies and my kids turned out fine. All lunchmeat is fine as long as you heat it to steaming to kill the bacteria before you eat it.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I better go get all four of my kids checked then because all I ate was Subway when I was pregnant. lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It should be okay if you limit it to once or twice a week.
    chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I ate sandwiches while I was pregnant too. Honestly, as long as you are eating it in moderation, I don't see that it could hurt you or your baby.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I just finished up a pack of Hormel Natural turkey and I'm pregnant lol. My OB said to just stay away from buying meat where they cut it fresh in the deli, because the blades can have bacteria since they aren't cleaned well.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i don't think the chances of getting listeria are any less. i think you are taking a slight slight risk any time you eat lunch meat. if you want some, you can microwave it until it's steamy and then you won't have to worry :) you never know which meat might have listeria, so eating it in moderation doesn't really help (other than reducing your chances of getting a contaminated piece by reducing the number you eat, if that makes sense) :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• long as u warm up ur deli meat u should b fine!!!....to kill the bacteria
    LilStacy

Answer by LilStacy at 2:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• As long as you warm it up you can eat it just limit how many times you eat it during the week.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010