Business vs. Personal- should I extend my friendship?

At a meeting earlier today, a client of mine out of the blue brought up some personal problems he is having. I listened, but didn't get a chance to ask questions or take the conversation further as the meeting started and we got to work. I'm a believer that people bring up stuff because they need to talk about it, and although we haven't ever had a personally conversation before- for what ever reason he felt comfortable talking to me at that moment. So- since we were interrupted, and I didn't get to really support him, should I call and let him know that I'm available to chat should he need some one outside of the issues 'bubble' for another point of view? Or should I let is slide, and try to retain a business relationship. (I just know from a bunch of junk happening lately in my life, sometimes it's nice to talk to someone not invested in the problem)

CarrieGemenon19

Asked by CarrieGemenon19 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it were me, I would just let it slide. Especially if he and I had never really had personal conversations before.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If it were a co-worker, my answer might be different. But a client? I'd say let it go. Having friends that are clients, in my experience, is FAR too complicated.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It's never a good idea to mix business with personal relationships. Let it go.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have to agree with everyone else. Let it go. He may have just felt chatty at that moment. It's been my experience that it's never a good idea for a woman to tell a man she's there whenever he wants to chat unless she wants to give him the impression that she's interested in him. A man will always think you want more than friendship.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you feel comfortable reaching out to him, then do it. He might reach back and he might not.

That is so kind of you to consider doing it....... if he needs a friend right now, he will always remember your kindness!!
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 4:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i would let it go. he may be embarrassed that he revealed so much personal business to you in the first place. we all sometimes let too much out to the wrong person when we are at our end but it is messing in dangerous territory to encourage this type of relationship, no matter how much he may need help. it could backfire on you in a number of ways. and to the person who said the answer would be different if it were a coworker... well, coworkers can do the most damage in my experience.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I'll take your advice and not call, but next time I see him I'll ask how things are going.
    CarrieGemenon19

Comment by CarrieGemenon19 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010