Anyone else find adulthood way too lonely?!

I didn't mind being alone as a teenager. I was depressed half the time anyway, so I could just sit in my room for hours alone and not care. But if I ever felt like talking, I had siblings right there and my mom to talk to. Here I have no one to talk to. I live far away from family (in a diff time zone). My Dh works all day, and our child is way to young to talk back. Then he comes home and sleeps or does homework and I'm pretty much alone all day.
I'm not depressed, but I sure am lonely. Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Adulthood? No. Parenthood? Yes! Before I had kids I was active, had friends and loved life... Since becoming a parent I've felt like I'm in prison! I haven't seen my friends in YEARS if I don't talk to them online, I don't get to talk to them. I feel blessed if I get an hour to go to the grocery store, because beyond that, I don't get to leave the house. I've been completely cut off, completely alone besides what goes on online... Which is why I'm online so much - I miss people!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I know the feeling. . . and CM is a cure only part of the time. . . If you ever just want someone to talk to you can PM me .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you need to get out of the house once in a while. There are all kinds of groups in your community to keep you busy, entertained, involved and with other adults. There are Mommy & Me programs, Libraries, the list is really pretty endless with things to do.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you're lucky enough to get to stay home all day with the little one, find a local group to join.

http://www.meetup.com might give you some ideas.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yea, I have totally been there. I live far away from family, too, and when my son was born I was like a hermit. LOL I have 3 kids now, and it does get easier. As they get older, they get into activities that give you a chance to socialize with other parents in your situation. Also, they talk back. Try looking into programs at your local library, sometimes they have baby story time, with other mommies who are just as lonely as you. I feel for you, I remember all too well how that time in my life was. You husband will find it hard to understand, because he goes to work and thinks you've got it easy. It will get better, I promise. Good luck, sweety!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 1:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You ought to get into a mom's group through a church or community center. There are MOPS groups all over the U.S. That would give you other moms to talk to who are where you are. MOPS is mothers of preschoolers. Good luck.
    HelenCarlene

Answer by HelenCarlene at 1:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• How about getting a job during the hours your child is in school??? What about that????
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think being an adult and having a child is a great social time....I go off to a park and can meet a tonne of people easily....conversations strike up anywhere over kids ! and usually all adults wanting adult conversation for a good change ! lol
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The awesome thing about having kids is they are great conversation starters. You automatically have something in common with other moms. Look up playgroups in your area, even if your little one seems to small to care. It's not for him, it's for you, but then again, who wouldn't benefit from a happy mom? I have really enjoyed my MOPS group. It's international so hopefully you have a chapter close by
    chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes. I definatly know how you feel. I made a friend with a baby about the same age as mine who felt the same way. We live an hour a way,but try to see each other atleast once a week to keep our sanity!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010