is it okay for my son at 2 years old, not talking, not sayin words?

desmaras89

Asked by desmaras89 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My twins weren't talking much at all at that age, maybe 2 or 3 words. They are now 3 and a half and are starting to use sentences. If you are concerned ask your pediatrician when you take him in. My doctor was not at all concerned with the girls not talking much. He will pick it up, just talk to him a lot and tell what things are as he plays.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Have you talked with a Speech Therapist or your Pediatrician?

Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I always like to remind ppl that Einstein didnt speak until he was 3y/o. My first son didnt speak much until his late two's now he is a chatter box. On the other hand my youngest just turned 2 and has been talking in sentences since he turned 18 mo. I think you should let him take his time, dont panic. Encourage speech by reading to him, singing songs, and watching kid shows.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Chances are that he is just fine, but if you are concerned ask your Pediatrician and they willl give you the info to contact the state to have him checked out. When my DS went in for his 2 year check up the Dr. said that by then he should be able to understand 50% of what he says, but he couldn't. He suggested we have him checked out. It was free, the women came to our home and played with him and did the evaluation. They said he was slightly behind, but not to be concerned yet, to give it another 6 months. We waited and felt he was improving a great deal until his preschool teacher mentioned it. We had him evaluated again and they said that he was absolutely just fine. They check everything, his physical abilities, social interaction, etc. etc. etc. Now my son is 3.5 and he won't shut up, lol. I would check it out, if there is something to be concerned about, its better to know asap to get him whatever he needs.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He still has time ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Ask your pediatrician. If the doctor isn't worried, then neither should you. All children develop at their own rates. And as long as there is nothing physically or mental wrong with your child, he will start talking.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd discuss it with your doctor. Their views may vary and it's partly based on whether the child is otherwise on target (or ahead). At 18 months my son started speech therapy because he wasn't talking. By 2, kids shouldhave a vocabulary of 200 to 300 words (based on what I've been told along the way). By 2 1/2, they should be putting phrases together. Having your child evaluated doesn't commit you to having them go for therapy but it will help identify if there's a problem that won't clear on its own.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you have any concerns you can have a free developmental evaluation done by early intervention in your area (you can google it). You don't want him to get so far behind that he has a hard time catching up. Some kids are just late talkers, but it never hurts to have the evaluation to make sure!

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• All kids develop differently. My daughter said her first word at 7.5 months, and was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months.

I would get your child evaluated. If everything is find, you will have peace of mind; if there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• all children are different... but call your local WIC office and ask for the number for a HELP ME GROW or another organization that can give you different ways to increase your little ones vocabulary ... everything you hand your lil one tell him what it is and keep repeating... if you give him a cup say cup 20 times if it's a ball say ball 20 times repetition helps tremendously
    Jacky S.

Answer by Jacky S. at 4:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010