socialization?

My son is 8 years old, I have been home schooling him since 4yrs old, his B-day is in November, so 4 would be Kindergarten. Now he is in 4th grade, by school systems, and is turning 9 pretty soon.

I go to a lot of kid meet groups that are thru out the week, just whatever we can fit in. I have him on a traveling soccer team, and a swim team, but his dad is saying we should do more. ???

He does home school from 9a to 1p, not counting independent work...kind of like homework, but he's already at home. Then right now soccer is at 5-8p 2 days a week, and I fit in play groups when possible, and I let him have a sleep over once a week, on a week-end.

What else can I do? I almost think my hubby is using this as a ploy to get him in football, honestly, but refuse, so what other ways can I get him with other kids? Maybe a group homeschool w/others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds as if he's fine! I agree with Morgain, that I would hold off on FB unless your son has express real interest in that. There of course is scouts, 4H or just even joining a local co-op or group. My son 9 has express interested in doing scouts. I found a local pack that is made up of local homeschooling boys. So we are going to see about that. :)
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Go to the Library, Join the public school on field trips.......
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 2:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Boy scouts?
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Do you not have a homeschool group in your area for doing group stuff like touring local sites, socializing, etc?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I dunno I think it sounds like he is pretty socialized to me. . . I homeschool my DD and she isn't in any outside sports or for that matter have friends here (we just moved. . . UGH! I hate moving). She is in a morning and evening Yoga routine and does her work from the time she gets up to about noon ( so roughly 4-5 hours a day) and then her independent study time. And she has an outside tutor for her Oneida language and history (my DD and DH are Oneida Indians living right outside a res.). . .SO. . ..
    GL but I think you are doing great with him. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I believe home school groups have many gatherings and activities for the kids. Take your son to your neighborhood park, pack a picnic and make a day of it. It's a great way to meet kids in your neighborhood and you may meet a few mom's.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd go w/ 4H or scouts. And check your local ymca, there's often homeschooling gym classes or other groups there
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Tell your hubby that Football at the age is kind of useless. If your Hubby wants him to play in High School then don't make him start until he is at the 7-8th grade age. They will learn the game well enough to play as a freshmen that way. Kids who start FB too early end up burnt out on it, and I have seen to many senseless injuries happen before high school. I don't home school, so I can't comment on the amount of socialization he gets - but I do know about youth & High school football.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Look up your state and home school events calendar. I know in our state there is a TON of places that have 'home school day' Museums, water Parks, Nature Reserves, Stone Mountain Park, Science Centers... A lot of the days are educational for 'field trips' but also a good opportunity to get involved with other HS kids/parents.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sounds like he is doing great for his age.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010