Homemade Chicken Stock?

What herbs/seasonings do you add when making chicken stock? I usually add rosemary, thyme, peppercorns and salt but I am in the mood for a change.

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 9:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Food & Drink

• When I do mine I always add rough chopped celery onions and carrots with my salt, peppercorns(mixed variety of white,red and green) rosemary, sage and thyme. Also I don't use just bones. I boil whole legs. When the meat is so tender it's ready to fall off the bone I remove the meat, return the bones and let it all slow simmer another hour or so. Let it cool then strain bones and veggies out. I store in mason jars in the frig...as if it ever lasts long around here.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You can add anything you want! I usually put together a little sachet with al kinds of herbs in it, + a little garlic. You can add fennel and parsley to the rosemary and thyme.
    Saraswati

Answer by Saraswati at 9:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I probably should have mentioned that the veggies I use are onions, carrots and celery, and I also use bay leaves.
    Thank you ladies...
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If you like a little spice, add cayenne pepper! i love it with cayenne pepper, so tasty and different! Im serious! give it a try
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 9:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2008