At what age is it ok to start letting your daughter date?

gapeachmom78

Asked by gapeachmom78 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well I thought 12 or so.. but my SO and I just recently had a talk bout it & he flipped out! lol.. He thinks much older..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When she is a black belt in some form of martial arts.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i started dating at 13/14 wish my mom would have limited me to 16,
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 2:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd be comfortable with 15-16 but what they do, where they go, and when they go would be limited. Plus we'd have having a nice long mother-to-daughter talk and if she didn't wanna listen, she wouldn't date.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• MY daughter alone, solo date will be 17 unless she is ridiculously mature. I know it seems harsh but I'd rather have her hate me for a year or 2 than take on situations she isn't ready for. Group things, dances, proms, etc etc ... 13? 14? Depends on maturity level for sure.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My first thought was "When they are done with college." Grin 

The age needs to be discuss as a family meeting and then come to a decision as to the age.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• For my family, there will be no dating until my daughter is 18. I don't see any reason for children to be dating at all.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My daughter is a 14 year old high school freshman, and she is not dating at this point. Over the next few years we will gradually allow her to have some socialization with boys, but like someone else said solo dating will have to wait a while.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't have daughters but my boys are not allowed solo dates (they are 12 and 15). They can go out in groups. It really needs to be determine by you and your family on what is comfortable. My boys are very intelligent, kind, athlectic and social...I don't allow "dating" because I want them to remain focused on their future. My fear is obsessing on someone else and distracting them from their long term goals. My boys have never had an issue with this, they like to have their time for sports and friends and family time not being tied to someone who may want too much of their attention at this age. They know once they are out of HS and on track with their life goals then that's the time to have someone in their life to compliment each other.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My dd was 16 yo when she went on her first one on one date. But her "bf" at the time was someone we knew and his family. They had been friends for about 3 years and neither of them drove, so that was nice. She is now 17 yo and has been on a few dates with boys who drive. It is not easy, but we trust her. I would rather know what she is doing and with with whom than have her lie or sneak around behind my back. This is want worked for us, but I do think 12 is VERY young for dating. I have a 13 yo dd and she won't be dating any time soon!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010