Middle School vs High School

I just posted a question about socializing my 8 almost 9 year old. I got a lot of great suggestions so I thought I'd get your opinion on this.

Right now my son is in 4th grade, if we follow the schools grade system. I was thinking 6th grade would be the last grade that I home school for but I just remembered how drama filled middle school was, and that age, with all of the hormones, is difficult.

So I was thinking of possible continuing home school thru 8th grade, and then allowing him to go to a private school at that point, 9th grade, if he feels comfortable.

What are pros and cons to entering a child into a private/public school system in Middle school? what about High School?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I homeschooled my two younger boys until middle school. One did fine, and had no social problems, the other, who also happened to be small for his age, and looked younger, got bullied, and finally asked to be homeschooled. He finished high school as a homeschooler, and started college at age 15. He's done fine socially in college. Both boys are in college now, the younger boy is 18, and will actually graduate a year ahead of his older brother. He is no longer small, and looks his age, plus, he acts more mature than many kids his age, so he hasn't had any trouble making great friends in school now. Both boys are well adjusted, getting good grades, and generally doing well..........I don't know if that helps at all or not, but just my experience.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• There is two possible out comes to letting him go into school in 7th grade...he will be the new kid and that could either work in his favor, and be accepted and have lots of friends, or he could be rejected and teased. No one can tell how it would play out. But I am sure he could hold his own and still be happy. However how long you homeschool your child is up to you, do what feels right for your family. I personally think it would be harder going into high school b/c most of the kids at the high school have already gone to school in jr high with the same kids, possibly even elementry school. So the cliqs would have been formed and strong by then. Anyway its up you and your family. Good luck!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• As far as private schools go.... let me say this. If you choose private for religious reasons or for a particular learning style... way to go! But if you are choosing a private school because you think there will be less chance of social issues or drugs... you are making a HUGE mistake. They are there just like any public school... plus you have the added issue of money class. If is VERY obvious who has it and who doesnt in a private school (dont let those uniforms fool you).

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with anikahaynes1 - it could definitely go one of two ways. Also most children in private schools tend to have started school together at younger ages and have known each other a long time. I was the new girl in 5th grade in private school and it wasn't until 7th grade that the kids accepted me and included me in things. (I was in public school before then) I agree I think it would be much harder in HS, than middle school.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have no idea since we didnt home school.

But I have had one go through middle school (girl) and one in his last year both have totally blossomed and had minimal drama.... no horror stories at all... not even close to it.

I would say the key is to have have them in sports in the area.... multipule sports if possible.  It opens up their circle of friends.  Also we had GREAT success because of the size of the school ( 2 grades 1700 kids).  Since it was so large there were TONS of "cliques" to choose from.  If there was drama in one you simply changed.  There was always someone new to meet.  Additionally in a large school there doenst tend to be ONE popular group... but many.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No, I am choosing private for a better education and learning experience. There are class systems in every school, but I am choosing private school, public schools are slowly fading which is why I HS to begin with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I know that my son is starting 6th grade this year, which is middle school here. I also know that he won't have recess and things like that so I'd say in comparison that 6th grade would be an ok place to start a home schooled child. Reason I say that is it's new for all the students, especially if it's coming from surrounding schools within that district to one Middle School. It's not easy making decisions for kids when it comes to emotional well being. I think you'll come to the conclusion that's best in your son's situation. Talk with him. Maybe go to the middle school orientation, check out a few things, find out what the extra curricular activities are and go from there.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• good answers here
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010