Do you shop at consignment/2nd hand shops?

My oldest daughter is in dire need of some pants/capris for school and we just can't afford to buy her new school clothes right now. So i finally made it to the consignment store here in town and i found 4 pairs of pants(2 capris 2 pants) for only $6!! so happy :D mostly it was because all their 'summer clothing' is 50% off right now but still it would've been way cheaper then buying new. She is the oldest out of all the granddaughters so we TRY to buy her new stuff so we can hand it down to my neice and then back to my younger daughter but she is SOO rough on clothes and right now everything is just too expensive to buy new :P I'm thinking we're gonna start buying all the kids' clothes at the consignment shop from now on :D

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 2:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Shopping

• yes, we do sometimes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I love thrift stores and consignment shops. I used to be embarrassed as a kid because that's where my mom got my clothes, but now it seems totally normal and acceptable. I was just talking about this with a friend the other day, as we were shopping together at a thrift store. I don't know if it's just the people I know, or if thrift stores have generally become cool and acceptable, but there just isn't the same kind of reaction that there used to be 10-20 years ago when I was a kid.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Totally. Can't afford new stuff, and kids 3 and under tend to outgrow clothes before they wear them out, so there is *usually* a good selection for my two monsters :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have more than once. Don't worry about it I think most people have done it at one time or another.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I do and I go to garage sales too sometimes. My dd is 8. She wore an outfit yesterday for the first time and tore a hole in the pants. I buy her new clothes too but I prfer it when she ruins something I got second hand!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In fact I just heard on the radio the other day. The announcers were talking and one said to the other "I love your shirt today, where did you get it," and the other lady said "Oh, just a thrift store." and the first ladies responce was, "REALLY?!!! That's awesome, I love a good bargain." So, it's definately become totally social acceptable around here. If that was a concern to you. As far as quality, I've found so many things in near new condition, even occasionally new with tags, and you said your daughter is rough on her clothes, so you might as well pay less to begin with anyway, and if they are good enough to pass on, great, if not let the next kid get some "new" clothes of her own.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It really has becomre more socially acceptable hasn't it? i wasn't really concerned about that part, we've always used hand-me downs from other family members when she was little so she doesn't care if something is 'new' or not. And really alot of the stuff i saw at the consignment store was much better quality then we could get her at Wal-mart anyways (only store near us, closest mall or other stores are about 2hrs away) I definately could've spent alot more $$ in that store on my other kids but they don't really need clothes right now cause they get handmedowns from my neice and nephews :P But now i know where to look for Christmas/Easter dress clothes and what not! :D
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, I have before.
    1scrappinmama

Answer by 1scrappinmama at 2:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• With four kids six and under... All of our stuff is 2nd hand. All of it. And IMHO it's better to go that way. Why throw out perfectly good clothes when someone else can wear them? :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It is green to recycle. Freecycle, thrift stores, garage sales, cousins hand-me downs. The way to go. Save money and save the environment.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010