Personal Holidays? (For Pagans)

This came up on one of the blogs I follow (About.com's Pagan Blog) and I wanted to get the feelings of everyone...

Is it okay to "make up" holidays or create holidays around your own beliefs rather than sticking to your religious traditions holiday schedule?

What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, it seems to be that would be degrading of the religion
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Why the heck not?

Especially if you're eclectic!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Here's the link for the blog if anyone wants to read it...

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/holidaysandcelebrations/f/PersCelebrations.htm

Personally, I agree with her. There is no reason why you can't create your own holidays, what matters is the meaning, not the timing...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Absolutely not okay to make up holidays. Degrading to our religion and preying on people's ignorance is wrong... and makes us look bad.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Okay, I read the blog but it sounds like personal holidays are nothing more than personal tradition, the very things that makes Paganism or any religious practice personal and more spiritual to each person. I've celebrated in my own ways for years and I don't see that changing. I'm eclectic Pagan and I'm not interested in placing the shackles of restriction back on in the name of religion. So for some Pagans it's going to be perfectly acceptable. For others that follow a more restrictive tradition, it's not going to be acceptable.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think if they are keeping in line with your beliefs and whatever the holiday is based on then I dont see an issue with it. Make holidays work for you and how you celebrate rather than do it when and where others say to.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Is it ok for me? Not really. But I wouldn't say anything bad about someone who does. I do agree its the meaning put behind it. Not the timing.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• we made up our own holidays when we started celebrating birthdays. IMO
    but why not? the christians made up christmas and easter to cover holy days they didn't like......
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• well someone had to have made up Xmas and Easter.... and isn't Halloween from pagan origins?
    So yeah, if the Christians could make up their own, why can't anyone else?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thats right Easter actually IS a pagan holiday in its origins. I forgot that
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2010