Do you always give back the change?

At work we will sometimes run to the store and buy stuff for everyone who wants something, well even if it just a few pennies I ALWAYS give people their change back. I have noticed however that a lot of the people I work with won't. It bugs me... it's not like it is going to break me... but it bugs me still.
Also, when a cashier doesn't give you your change back if it is under 5 or 10 cents.... UGH! That is their JOB! I make them give me my change unless it in a penny or so then I go on about my business aggrivated with them, lol.

Do you always give the change back? What do you think about this?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I try to give back the change- but sometimes I forget.

As far as cashiers not giving back change that drives me nuts. We use change to buy those end of the month items that always come up- a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, cheese <--- says my husband.

Those automated change giver thingies at the cash register drive me nuts too. No one remembers to grab their change. I bet stores make a pretty penny (no pun intended) from people forgetting to grab their change. If customers lose an average of 25 cents every time they go to the store that really adds up. Especially when the stores are seeing hundreds if not thousands of people every day.

That's my change rant. I feel so much better now =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, I always give the change back. But I usually only buy something for one person. I've never bought for a large group. I could see in that situation how it might be hard to remember who got what change.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• not usually the way I look at it is if I'm going to make a lunch run for lets say 5 people at work I'm not going to take the time to order each one seperatly so I have the appropriate change to hand back to each person. Nor am I going to make sure that if i order it together that I going to break bills so I can work the change out on my own. Now If there is someone who's meal was $6 and the gave me $10 then I'll make sure they get there change but for mear pennies I won't be bothered and if someone said something to me about it I would be extremely insulted because I went so you didn't have to If you don't like the way I did it then go yourself next time.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I always give change back. I find it highly rude NOT TO.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Legally a cashier CAN'T not give you the change... But if it's just a few pennies I usually just tell them to put it in the penny cup. If it's more than that I take it.

As for when I'm shopping for someone else, it depends on what they want and how many people need change back... Mostly because I can't do the math for pennies for 6 different people... But if it's just one person or two, then yeah, I give them all their change.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I always give change back.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When I was a cashier I always did. It's not my money or my employers it's the customers.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When I was in the Navy a lot times someone would do a food run and it was understood that person doing the run doesn't pay for his/her own meal. So I never gave money back and never expected it back. Unless the person gave a lot. Like a twenty for a $5 meal, then they would get change, usually before the person left.
    Cashiers, though should always give change back. I don't care if it's a penny, the store isn't getting any extra money from me.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I personally think that cashiers should ALWAYS give you back your change. It's your money, not theirs.

I always give change back, except to a certain friend who has a habit of repaying me too much money. When she gives money for me to get something, she doesn't want or expect it back... and it's still weird.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• For those of you misunderstanding the question - she's NOT a cashier! She is running to the store for several people at work.

And, yes, I always give the people their change back unless they tell me to keep it for being the delivery person. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010