Breast Milk or formula?? NEED ADVICE!!!!!

I will be induced in 3-4 weeks. At first I wanted to formula feed.. Now, I'm thinking I should breast feed using a pump. ..I was wondering if I could do both. Pump while I'm in the hospital for colostrum and then switch to formula when I leave the hospital?

amv1010

Asked by amv1010 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Breastmilk is always best...why can't you just breastfeed in the hospital instead of pumping? Then, if you must, pump later.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Why not latch? do you have some situation that prevents you? I know that some woman think it's icky, and when I'm NOT breastfeeding the thought of it is weird for me, but I find that Nursing the baby is very natural and comfortable.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You most likely won't be able to pump much colostrom. But yes, you can pump and formula feed.

May I ask though, why you want to pump instead of putting baby to breast?
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Every drop that you give your baby is worth it. Pumping is hard work and takes a lot of time, but the colostrum is good enough for them to be worth the effort. Pumping through the engorged stage also helps a lot.

That said, nursing, over time, becomes a lot easier than pumping. Take it from a mama whose LO can't nurse and has been pumping for three months.

Good luck, whatever you choose... and congrats on your new baby.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Breast feed for at least 6 weeks. That where the baby starts to build up immunities and helps reduce allergies. You also burn alot of calories by baby to breast feeding. After 6 weeks if you wanna go to formula go right ahead. It's expensive though.
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 2:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'm going to try to get all "lactivist" on ya, but breast is best! And if your seriously considering it you probably know most of the reasons. I think pumping is far more difficult then putting baby to breast (so I guess I don't understand your reason for wanting to pump only.) But give it a try. It's not like you can change you mind to breastfeed later once your milk has dried up an your baby is FF.
    chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• breasfeeding creates an amazing bond as aposed to bottle feeding, and tori is right there really isnt enough colustrum to pump it. if your not going to breastfeed in the hospital they will probably recomend a bottle. the choice is completly up to you. breastfed all of my kids for atleast 3 months and always wished i had gone longer after i stopped. its cheaper and all around easier too. also pumping doesnt work like a babys latch and a lot of women gradually stop producing when only using a pump.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've always heard that if you can breast feed for at least two weeks it gives the baby a lot of antibodies to fight off infection, etc. Pumping is a good option, but you have to give it time and don't give up too easy. It takes some getting used to.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You'll see that it is much easier to nurse than pump. Why do you want to pump? that is a last resort. You can do both breast and bottle though. Nurse when you are home and give bottles of formula when you are out. that's what I did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Baby may have a cleft palate.. She has the cleft lip.. but they aren't certain about the palate and won't be until she arrives.
    amv1010

Comment by amv1010 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010