my son learning a b c at 2

my son is starting to learn his a b c hes 2 i got flash cards and i show him tell him the letter and the sound and have him repeat them then i do this for a few min through out the day he seems to reconize the letters he tells me what they are he is hard of hearing and has speach problems so i tryed to use this to help speach we also do sign language. he has a 5 work voc. on that i would like to do more but i dont want to over welhm so how many letters in what time should i do like 3 letters a week or ?

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just go with it. A letter of the day might be cool.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You'll just have to see how it goes. His mood, you don't want to push it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• As many as he wants to do. he'll let you know when to stop.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• my son is 2 and a half and he can name every letter now However I break it up into weeks letter a for a week ect then when we go shopping or an outinng we look for the letter of the wek and point out stuff that makes the sound. Just let him show you what he is ready for if he seems overwhelmed slow it down.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son ( 2 1/2) won't repeat past G or H unless he's in the mood, but he goes around all day "ABCDEFG" or trying to sing the song with me, and he knows most of the others. Some kids prefer to focus on one letter at a time, and some prefer to do a few at a time - so just try to get a feel for what he likes, and go from there. They have some great videos on youtube, too, that have the alphabet song, which keep my boy's attention longer and get him to respond better than he does just for me and the flash cards. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Here, this one's his favorite : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrWJ-rC4YQc
    lol
    I usually go through the deck of flash cards once or twice and then play that video (and a couple of others, he likes Elmo's alphabet rap, too) for our "alphabet lesson" each day. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I wanted to share something that REALLY helped my first learn his ABC's. He knew them all by sight right around 2. When he was about 20 months old he got one of those bit letter mats for Christmas. They lay flat on the ground and you hook them together. They are made of soft material and the letters can even be removed from the square they are in. He LOVED that thing and would take all the letters out of their squares. We had a lot of fun making different designs with the squares and trying to find the letter that went in the right spot. It was GREAT! Anyway, just thought I'd share. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010