What conditions must be met before you consider a child fully "potty trained"?

For instance, is a child that will go in a potty but can't undress, wipe, or refasten clothes potty trained?

How about accidents (or lack thereof)?

Is full independence as important as not needing to use a diaper/pull-up?

What else is important to you?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 2:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Never a diaper (except at night). It's OK if he needs help with pants.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well, I know a lot of preschools require the child to be 'potty trained' and they say that the child should be able to wipe, zip, and dress on their own without the teacher helping.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 2:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• To call them full potty trained in my book is they need no help and no one asking. They know they need to go and they run to the bathroom, pull down their clothes and go and wipe and pull clothes back up. Although, I don't expect them to be able to fasten some pants.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Potty trained is potty trained, my dd is 2 1/2 and she goes to the bathroom, but a lot of times won't tell us that she has to go. Can go through the and night without one accident, she can get naked alone, get on the potty alone, and wipe alone, but she won't go if someone doesn't "take her".... It all depends on your perspective.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd say being dry night and day,going without being told to. Helping with wiping and clothes is no big whoop. That takes alot of practice!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i still help my 4 year old with buttoning and unbuttoning pants as well as wiping when she goes #2 i think just using the potty with or without assistance is potty trained.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Wanting to go potty on the potty was my only requirement.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I consider my 2.5 year old potty trained. She wears a pull-up at night, but only uses it maybe once per week - if that. She goes to the bathroom on her own, without being asked. She pull down her own panties/shorts/etc., wipes, pulls panties up. Most of the time I have no involvement, but if her pants/shorts have BUTTONS (not snaps) then she requires help.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My two littlest are considered still training.- We are accident free during the day but we wear a diaper at night just in case. To me, it doesn't matter if I have to take them and help them with their clothes or help them get up onto the potty. Potty Trained means no diapers ever.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 3:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Being able to use the potty day and night without being told. The clothing thing wasn't a requirement for us, but dd was potty trained before she was 2, so I think if she was older it might have been.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010