How can I encourage my DH the SAHD to be less frustrated? adult content

My DH is a SAHD and is very frustrated by our daughter's unwillingness to potty train. we have been working on her for a while now, but she is very stubborn, and will throw a fit rather than go to the potty. I'm not at home during the day, so I can't see if he's really doing it or not, but I am hoping that he is paying attention and making her go. He says he's just really fed up with it, and there is pee everywhere, lol...it's gross, because he doesn't always find where she has peed...and I step in it later...and cuss up a storm. Also our furniture is just disgusting...I guess that is the price to pay for having kids... :(

TeenerBeener75

Asked by TeenerBeener75 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son wanted to go to school, so we told him he couldn't go until he learned to go to the potty. My stubborn daughter on the other hand, we used candy. Every time she went she got a piece. (Sometimes, I'm not above bribery). But as to the fustration, I would work on it for a week, then let it go for a week or two and then try again for a week. Took a few months but they got it. Made the experience not as horrible for all of us.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My hubby did it for 2 years. It got to the point where I found a lady to take the kids once or twice a week regardless of the fact John was home. She provided a change of pace for daddy and kids. He may need a break.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Get books from the library for her to read and videos to watch. Tell your husband to watch her every second and she won't have a chance to sneak off and piddle. I know its hard becasue I would turn away for a second and my daughter would hide in the corner and poop in her pants! But always praise and try rewards, like stickers. i went thru this also and sought help from everyone here too and sometimes it seems like there will never be a light at the end of the tunnel, but eventually they pick it up and go with it. How old is she? Remind her that babies go in their pants and she is a big girl. make up songs, buy her big girl underwear. This is the most frustrating part of parenthood and they all make it thru it eventually. Good luck!!
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 4:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would stop pushing her. Yes, she needs to be potty trained. What we did for Victoria was, she decided at 19 months old that she hated the diapers, would pull them off everytime I put one on her. I went and bought pullups and she started periodically telling me when she had to potty. It was not every day, but it was some progress. Right before her 3rd birthday (2 weeks before) she decided she was finished with pullups and asked for panties. We have not looked back. In the 8 months since, she has only had a handful of accidents
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• when my daughter turned 2 1/2 i just stopped buying pull ups thank god it just worked. they say all kids are different .. good luck!
    gfam6

Answer by gfam6 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am having trouble training our son who turns 3 in NOV... we've both and all tried he just WON"T .. we did the underpants since he is allergic to all diapers except 1 and he's allergic to all pull ups..arh.. but that didn't work - we both work outside the home so I guess I am going with the theory of Kids dont' go to school without knowing how to go on the potty so if it takes til then, then it does... hard dealing with that stubborn temperment of our kids right haha..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i bribed my kids, told them they couldn't go to school unless they went in the potty chair. that worked.
    but someone gave me this but i never had to use it, a potty chart, kinds like a chore chart, you put a sticker on it everytime she went potty. you figue out before hand what the rewards are. like if she got twenty stickers, she gets taken out for ice cream. or stays up an hour later. see if that don't help.
    (my kids love school, thats why that threat worked)
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My daughter turned 4 in July. WE have tried bribery, telling her big girls use panties, and that she can't go to school until she uses the potty...stickers...um...several different things...and she doesn't care, lol. It doesn't seem to bother her to go in her diapers...and when she does pee in her panties, she doesn't tell us...and then, well we get frustrated with her because she didn't tell us!!! :) Silly little thing. She does sit on it, more than she used to. The thing that has worked most for us, has been telling her she gets a maraschino cherry when she pees in the potty...because she LOVES those things...so I guess it's more of a try try and try until she gets it. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her developmentally, so it may just take some time. I did want to try the once or twice a week with her somewhere else, it may help him. I know he probably does need a break... Thanks ladies!
    TeenerBeener75

Comment by TeenerBeener75 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Stop Pushing, she's pushing back. That's what I was told.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd sure to give her a lot of extra hugs and praise in stead of showing,( your S/O maybe showing his frustration to her). You may also have to give her a little treat w/ the praise to get this accomplished. At 4 she shd understand what your trying to accomplish, and I'm sure feels his frustration. Maybe Mom you can really take over when your home nights & weekend and get the job done with a little more of a Mommy's tender loving care. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010