counseling?

i have a few questions about counseling...
first, have you been and did it help? what did you go for?

second. i notice some therapist have sliding scales and others dont. if the average fee is $80 and you are approved on the sliding scale, would it be cheaper?

how many sessions on average are needed? does it depend on type of counseling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I've been for marriage counseling, she suggested I leave my ex which I did. My church paid for it, so I don't know about payment. Number of sessions depends on the particular problem.

Answer by missanc at 3:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i went many years ago for myself to deal with chronic depression, a few years ago to deal with my daughter's anger issues and rebellion beyond the norm, and a couple years ago it was supposed to be marriage counseling but hubby backed out so i went myself. as for the most recent - i had access to an EAP (if there is anyone in your household who is employed and has this benefit, you have access to it even if you are not on the insurance) however, i had trouble getting and appointment with someone on the plan and opted for catholic charities sliding scale. i started paying $30 or $25 per session, but when the financial situation got bad they worked with me to bring it down to $20 and space the sessions out more. even though it seems like things are unsolvable, really alot of progress can be made in just a couple visits. check with your county mental health board for low cost options in addition to united way. good luck.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010