So my brother in law has a new girlfriend and...

I became close friends with his ex. They have been broken up for almost 3 years but it was a bad break up. (long story). My hubby's birthday is in two weeks and my bil asked if he could bring his new girlfriend. I said yes but am afraid my friend (his ex) might get mad? Sounds silly I know but ya never know. Ppl get weird on me all the time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• It's been 3 years and if they get mad then they aren't over it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Think of the poor woman you're going to be bringing into all this drama!!!! (His new Grilfriend)
    Sounds more like you're setting him up!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well, it isn't like he is just a friend, he is your brother in law afterall so you can't really keep him from coming to events that include the family and you can't be expected to have him come to every event solo. Maybe give the ex the heads up and keep it light by saying something like, "well, this was bound to happen, but my BIL is bringing a girl over for the party and I thought you'd rather hear it from me. I know the break up is in the past and a long time ago but I thought it best to give you the heads up."
    Will your friend be at the party, too? If so it could be a bit awkward and something nice for her to be prepared for, and if she won't be there then it shouldn't be an issue.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Its going to be drama
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Besides MARYMW these answers are completely ridiculous! It's been 3 years and this was bound to happen. Geez people. Really? Do uou expect him to live in a hole?
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• She is a friend of yours no matter if they dated or not she can come also. I would let them both know thta they will both be there cause he is family and she is your friend. Besides it has been 3 years they all need to get a grip. By the way do they have a child or children together? If not then there should be no problems.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well if she gets mad then you know that she truly isnt your friend.

Over all I agree with MaryMW

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Just so long as everyone involved knows that the other is coming. Im talking the new gf the bil the ex gf. I think it should be fine. They are adults for crying out loud!
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i agree with shani527 they need to be adult about it and just deal with it if u friend feels mad the she does not have to go. he is ur brother and he needs to be happy and that should make u want he to be. if that means telling ur friend she cant come then that is what has to happen but hopfuly she is grown up enoght to pull through
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well if both he and the ex were invited and both said they would be there I would call them both up and say "hey, just to let you know XX will be at the party with a date. I hope everyone will make an effort to get along- or at least be civil to each other. I do not want anything to spoil my hubbys party, and if there is a problem people will be asked to leave".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010