at what age should my twins be off baby food

my boys are 11 months and CAN eat finger food but I dont give it to them often. I was starting giving them at least half of their meals in solid food (ie pieces of fruit/veggies) and it was going well but i live with my mom and she always complains that its too messy and when its timeto feed them she runs in the kitchen to make their food before i can and she makes really runny baby cereal/jarred baby food.
I'm on WIC and I'm not sure if I'll even get jars of baby food after they are 12 months

so im just curiuos when its recommended that babies eat REAL food. (she says "i dont think theyre getting enough nutrition when they eat that way" i geuss she worries theyw ont eat enough of it?)

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually, kids never need "baby food" and can go straight to real food at around 6 months. Mine was. By 11 months, he ate what I ate and was using his own spoon and fork. My next kid will never have a puree at all and will get backed sweet potato chunks, avocado chunks and things like that at 6 months or after and no baby food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When they are ready, they will let you know if they are ready for more that Puree. I used to mash all my foods, my boys loved it :-) If your Twins like the finger food and they chew and don't choke, they are ready :-) They are showing you they are ready :-)
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 3:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I can't tell you when they are SUPPOSED to be, but my son was off it at 8 months. I made him all his food and I just made the texture easier from 6-8 months (he didn't really eat too much then though.) Once he was 8 months he ate all healthy solids. I say ignore your mom and give them real food. It might be a mess but they need to learn. I had a friend that waited too long and her child had issues because he just tried to swallow everything instead of chewing when he was 1 and needed some oral therapy.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 3:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with all previous answers. I don't remember exactly when it was with my twins but definitely before they hit one... it was between 8 and 11 months I think. As long as they can chew it and don't choke then they are good to go, tell your mom that they will eat until they are full. Kids know when they are hungry and when they aren't there will be days you can put all their favorite foods in front of them and they will hardly eat a thing. They know their bodies and their tummies, if they are hungry they will eat.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• At the nine month appointment our pediatrician said less baby food, more table food. She's pretty much been getting table food ever since. Honestly if that were my mom, I would throw whatever she makes in the garbage and feed my baby what I want.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Babies never need jar baby food. There is decidely LESS nutrition in baby food because it is over cooked and overprocessed and half water. Your mother is totally wrong on that score. Check out www.babyled solids

My baby has eaten just about anything since 7 1/2 months when we started. Never jars or cereal...just real food. Some foods are messy and some aren't. One has to expect some mess, how can a child be expected to learn to eat neatly if they never are given the chance? My baby is 11m old no and you'd be surprised at how little mess there is because she's an experienced self feeder, From beans to beets to kiwi to mango...its all offered with the exception of obvious nonos like hard nuts. My MIL keeps trying to spoon feed her despite the fact that she just spits it out to see what it is or grabs the spoon to gain control :P
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would tell your mother that it is important for babies to feed themselves because they know their limits. Encouraging a baby to eat beyond their full meter or digestive abilities can make them not know when to stop or give them constipation, gas, or stomach upsets. It can also contribute to texture issues that make toddlers reject healthy foods.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• depends on how many teeth they have.
    BABmama08

Answer by BABmama08 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• my baby has no teeth and eats apples.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010