Has the United States lost its oomph as a superpower?

Even President Obama isn’t immune from the gloom. “Americans won’t settle for No. 2!” Obama shouted at one political rally in early August. How about No. 11? That’s where the U.S.A. ranks in NEWSWEEK’s list of the 100 best countries in the world, not even in the top 10. And as the worst recession since the ’30s festers on, along with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, no number of legislative triumphs—financial reform! health care!—seem capable of lifting the nation out of its doldrums.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 3:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Also interesting to note...who IS a superpower anymore? We used to know that it was the US and the Soviet Union. But it's no longer that obvious. Are the G7 nations the superpowers? If so, Canada and Japan beat us. The G20? Put the Aussies on the top of the list.

There are many factors that impact the metrics Newsweek was using. Population, for example. Finland's population is far lower than that of the US. Segregate out the most populous nations and Japan ranks #2, US #2.

What makes a superpower these days?

Answer by gdiamante at 5:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If our country would start focusing on their own citizens and stop with all the other bs, maybe we would be ranked higher. It's sad to me that we would rather be feared by other countries for our weapons and military than to be a good place to live for our citizens
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• All you can do is hope for the best and prepare for th worst... If we don't shape up, and get our government back under control.. we're screwed...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Who steps up in a big way when something bad happens in another part of the world? We do. I can't wait to see the top 10 do it's superpower best to help so that we can focus on getting back into shape as a country.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• This country has been in a recession before and pulled back into shape. It's just a matter of time.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Does it matter where we're ranked? besides bragging rights?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Might be interesting to see the actual article: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/16/best-countries-in-the-world.html Finland ranks #1,

There's also a link showing their metrics for determining the "best countries."

Answer by gdiamante at 5:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Miss..but that is one of the reasons why America has been a good place to live..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Don't get me wrong, I love that our country has a kick ass military and such...but IMO we have let our own problems go by the wayside. We at some point need to bring the focus back to our own people. Thats my point. Maybe because I have seen so many homeless lately, but It just makes me sad.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• gdiamante said it best.

Honestly I feel that if we started supporting science in this country we could regain our power and economic standing, however we tend to be scared of it as we have too many Christian Leaders in the country that discount it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010