WATER BIRTH?

i was just wondering if anyone here have a water birth and how did it go for you..would you suggest it? also i heard you cant have anything to calm the pain while there as in an epidural or an iv or anything...anyone know if its true? thanks in advance ;)

ABBY90

Asked by ABBY90 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My sister had a water birth, but the baby died 3 days later. Im not sure if it was the water birth, or if it would happen anyways
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 4:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• my neighbor had a water birth and LOVED it.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I tried with my first. But since I had a lip on my cervix. I had to get out for a bit. When I got back in it was too hot. So I delivered on a birthing stool. With my second I wanted too to. But since I had to have her in a hospital. They did not allow it. Also if you have an epi. You will not be able to leave the bed. That is the only place you can deliver. If you want a water birth. See if you hospital will do it. If not then find a midwife for a home birth or a birth center that does it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• IDK about the epidural and IV but my DIL just had a water birth in her home about 4 months ago. She was thrilled with it and wished she had done it for her previous babies too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It is true that you cannot have any pain relief during a water birth becuase it would make things unsafe because you can't feel your baby. However, if you choose, you can get out of the tub and have an epidural.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 4:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I had 3 water births and have 3 perfect and beautiful children (now 10, almost 9 and almost 4). The water was so calming and really cut the pain. I never wanted an epidural or anything though so I was prepared for it to hurt. But once I was in that water... it felt so much better! As far as the IV, yes, you can have an IV with a water birth. I had to have IV antibiotics for my oldest and that didn't stop them from allowing me to have a water birth. I also had midwives and all my children were born outside of a hospital at a birth center.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I did not give birth in the water, but I labored in the tub with my second and in the shower with my first and it was WONDERFUL. I refused an IV and wanted a med free birth (no epidural) and succeeded thanks to the water during transition. I would highly recommend it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Can you have a water birth if your water breaks? I have heard that you shouldn't get in the water if your water breaks because it could cause infection
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes you can have a water birth it your water breaks.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• MamaSarah - not that I've heard. All of mine were born in the water. With my last the water birth tub wasn't even ready until after my water broke (I was only in labor for 4 hours - they thought it would be longer and that they had plenty of time to fill the tub)... I gave birth while the tub was still filling. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010