Cannot take my 2 yr old to restaurants.. Please help!

My 2 yr old is awful at restaurants. She can't seem to sit still, she would want to get down from her seat and walk around the table or even crawl under the table. If we make her sit and tell her no, she starts to cry, fuss, scream and whine! Its getting to be embarrassing. What can we do to fiz this problem??? Thanks

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That sounds like our son. It's hard. But give her a time out, Deal with it. Bring her a toy color ??
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• First of all, tell her ahead of time how she will act in the restaurant. Then, put her in the highchair. Let her know in no uncertain terms that she is not to pitch a fit. Then, if she does, do not give in. Do all this at home too. If she is used to running around at home and not learning how to act at the dinner table, then, she has no clue how to act at a restaurant. Teach her, make her mind.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When my daughter was 2 we did a few things to make the restaurant easier for her. We would bring things for her to do at the table instead of trying to make her sit still, we would order soup right away so she wasn't hungry (she could eat the soup or the crackers), we would also play with the sugar packages and make the even interactive for her. We found that family style restaurants were faster for getting us fed before she was done.... and we found it easier to go out to eat when we hadn't done too many things during the day.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We can't either.. we just don't... I've tried toys and snacks and coloring and nothing will distract him.. we just have to pick our moods, make sure we go to a kid friendly place, make sure he's not over tired, over hungry, not hungry... lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Do you make her sit in her chair at home until she eats? These problems usually start at home.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Oh I feel you :( My son is getting better, thankfully, but there are those times and usually all we can do is keep him occupied with toys or whatever other random objects (that are safe for children...) I have in my purse. He is usually okay once the food comes and some restaurants are nice enough to bring his plate out earlier.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We could go anywhere with first son. Second son couldn't sit still that long. It was simply his personality. Nothing to be punished about. We stopped going to anything other than fast food until he was old enough to handle it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agre with starting from home! Do some role playing during dinner. Make some foods you'd see at a restaraunt and treat dinner like a night out. Be polite to whoever is serving the food, carry on your normal conversations. We went out the other night. SO is the same way. He doesnt like sitting still. But when he saud "all done" and tried getting up SO told him something along the lines of "that's fine, you're done, you dont have to eat anymore, but please let us finish". DS actually listened, understood and chilled out till we were done lol. It was a miracle! For other times I bring some toys, I bring crayons (some restaraunts have them! just ask!), we also go to restaraunts that tolerate kids and have fun foods.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That's normal 2 year old behavior. You don't fix the problem -- you do everyone else in the restaurant a favor, and leave your two year old with a sitter. I can't imagine why you would want to take your toddler to a restaurant!! Young children are not meant to sit still and sit quietly at 2 years old. We never took our kids to restaurants - it's just the courteous thing to do for all the other patrons.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That is very normal. I work in a restaurant and have seen it all with kids! I went to the dollar store and bought kids playing cards: go fish, memory, crazy eights, ect. and started handing them out to tables with kids. The parents love them and they seemed to work, so I started bringing them with me when we go out with our own kids. Its fun family time to sit and play a card game while we wait for our food, and it keeps them happy. Also you can ask your server to ring in your kids order right away when you order your drinks, and that way they arent hungry and grumpy.
    BusyBee908

Answer by BusyBee908 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010