Fines for poor parents?

I read this in MetroParent, it is the Detroit Edition.

Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy is championing the creation of an ordinance that would fine parents who don't attend parent-teacher conferences. Worthy points to the relationship between a lack of parental involvement and truancy and performance issues at school as evidence that more punitive measures need to be taken for uninvolved parents. Worthy says she will work with Wayne County commissioners and school officials to draft the ordinance.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• can they get out of it with a note from the doctor?

Do both parents have to come or can just one of them?

Is a phone conference acceptable?

yes, parents should go- but I don't think we need to be making laws to make sure people do that they 'should'.

a parent that does NOT care will not suddenly care just because they are forced to sit in a room with their kids teacher.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It sounds like a good idea to me. Parents need to be involved in their childrens lives.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sounds good,in theory.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I thin kit's a little odd that a parent would bail on PTC but then again here you get to pick a time or have them call you. I guess I don't understand how not doing one warrants a fine though... I dunno.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree. Too many children are being ignored by their parents. Parents HAVE to attend these meetings to know how their child is doing. It will not hurt them to take an hour or two and meet with their child's teacher. There is no excuse for it. Not even work, the teachers give plenty of notice for the parent(s) to get time off work.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In some ways, it could help and in others it could hurt.

I've always attended parent conference because I know the importance of my participation in my child's school but because I attend and other's don't does not mean that they don't care about their child. But on that same hand, I do realize that there are parents who could care less about what the child is learning in school... However, I do believe its important to involve parents in their children's conferences and education, I think other alternatives should be presented instead of making it mandatory.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• NO, that's HORRIBLE! a person who can't make a meeting scheduled by somebody else should NOT be fined. I can almost NEVER make the open houses because they don't give us enough notice to get our shifts covered. I always call the teacher, stop by and pick up the material, and then drop off whatever they request, but I can't go to the meetings.

this is ridiculous.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If they make them available to fit all parental schedules, then yes. But if you're a single Mom with 5 kids you're most likely going to be on a very tight schedule as it is.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• while i totally agree that parents need to be involved, time off work is not an option for many people. times are hard and many of the poorest paying jobs do not offer time off with or without pay... this includes parent-teacher conferences as well as much-needed medical care. that is the unfortunate truth. i believe that the people who would suffer most from such an ordinance are those who can least afford it. i also don't think there is a legal basis for such a fine, particularly when schools are paid for by tax dollars - there would need to be a vote. many school districts now have online access to grades, messaging, and reports, where parents CAN keep on top of what is going on with the kids and be in regular contact with the teachers. this is a really good option when face time is not as easy as it sounds.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I no longer attend my children's parent-teacher conferences. It's rare that it's necessary. I communicate with their teachers as needed through email or scheduled phone calls. This is much easier on my schedule and usually offers the ability to speak with the teacher at a less hurried pace than when they're trying to rush parents through on a tight schedule.

Both of my children are honor students (although they certainly weren't when they first came to me - they were significantly behind). This method of on-going instead of once or twice a year communication has worked very well.

This proposal could be devastating to some families. I am a widowed parent, raising two children while working full-time. There are good, active, strong, attentive parents who are unable to take time off work - or to be at more than one conference at a time.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010