Do you make your child stay at the table?

My husband works nights and I am on a diet so when we get home, we don't really have a "dinner " I make something for our son to eat but I let him eat it on a tray and we watch tv or if we are at the table we will play games or do flash cards but being we don't eat as a family yet ( we are hoping to eventually ) .. we don't really have a dinner routine so when he's done eating what he wants, he gets up and finishes playing, but the out to eat at a restaurant question just got brought up and it made me wonder if this is why he's so hard to take out - .. he isn't used to sitting down and eating all together.. should I just start with him and I as a dinner time routine? he tends to act up around daddy anyway so I am just wondering if that would help anyway..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is always in once place at meal time. Sometimes we eat at the dining table and sometimes we'll pull out his little picnic table and we eat in the living room, yes with the TV sue me, but he is always in once place until he's done eating. He is now allowed up until he is finished.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, you need a routine for all meals and rules to follow at home. This will solve most of the eating out issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, we have a routine for all meals. I don't "make" my daughter stay at the table, I teach her good manners and to eat at the table and behave appropriately during mealtimes and to remain until the meal is over and to clear her own dishes.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Definitely start a dinner routine.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't have a house big enough for a table to eat at but DD and I eat at her princess table every night. I never have a problem with her sitting still to eat. When we are out, I make sure to take crayons and paper to entertain her until the food is here, then she can color more when she is done if we aren't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, we made the kids stay at the table. We had a set dinner time. That's when they got to visit with DH after he came home from work before bedtime.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yes I agree with butterflyblue19.
    We do have a dinner routine but my dh works weird hours and those nights me and kids eat together or what ever the feeling is.
    But we do try to keep it as a family thing I believe it's a good thing that way the kids can feel open with mom and dad. just let him know how important it is to do this.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We always dinner together at the table, sometimes dh isn't home in time for dinner. The kids and I still sit at the table. There have been times when I'm not hungry for dinner, but I still sit at the table with the kids with just a glass of water.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 4:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• how old is your son? we have family dinner at the table with or with out daddy, mostly without. but when we go out, my five year old just wants to act up.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes it is time for a dinner routine. You teach him proper behavior at the table and you discuss the day's activities.

Answer by Bmat at 4:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010