I'm weirded out

I am due in Nov. with our 2nd baby. I am really wanting to try to breastfeed this baby since I didn't our 1st. I was really weirded out, and didn't even want to try. I was very young and didn't realize how much better breast milk is compared to formula. I feel a little guilty for wanting to breastfeed this baby since I didn't our 1st, but I'm also have a hard time actually accepting the idea of breastfeeding. I didn't think it was real weird when I decided I wanted to do it, but now that we're getting closer I'm getting more and more discouraged and am feeling strange about breastfeeding. Has anyone else gone through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I always feel that way... each time. You get a nice little hormone surge that helps quell those kinds of feelings. Your body WANTS to breastfeed. Also, it's a huge help if your SO is supportive.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• you can not compare breastfeeding to anything else
    give yourself a break
    relax
    and try it
    do not give up the first few days, sometimes hard for baby to latch

i did not decide either way before my child
    how would i know, not like i have tryed before
    it was just fine
    i think giving yourself a break and just try it

you may like it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I personally didn't breastfeed due to medical reasons but I think if you feel you would like to try you should go for it, even if it feels weird at first. You may get used to it. What I am saying is you should at least give it a shot and then if its not for you choose a formula and don't feel guilty about it.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 4:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You should take a breast feeding class at the hospital and talk to some moms who nursed. It really is a beautiful, beautiful thing. I breast fed all three of my kids. However, don't feel guilty about not nursing your 1st child and if you ultimately decide not to nurse your 2nd child, don't feel guilty about it either. Yes, breastmilk is best, but formula fed babies are healthy too. Don't let the breast feeding nazis make you feel bad about the decisions you make with regard to your child. Good luck.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• contact one of the agencies that can help support you in your decision like la leche league or WIC. if you are not sure what is in your area your local health department or hospital or ob can point you in the right direction. i had a friend that just thought it was too weird, but the truth is that is the purpose of breasts... don't feel guilty about what you can change. it is a really healthy decision to make for the baby, especially at first. i tried to breastfeed with my first (who just turned 19) and it didn't work out because i got a horrible infection. also at the time i ended up being a single , full-time employed parent pretty quickly so sticking with formula was an easier choice. but i really wish i had... i'm also due in november and totally nervous i have no idea how it works but it can't be harder than dealing with sterilizing bottles constantly and it's less expensive
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was the same way with my 1st child, didn't breastfeed, didn't feel comfortable doing it. I breastfed with the rest though, once you do it a few times, you get used to it and it feels completely natural.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 4:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Going to a breastfeeding class really helped me. I didn't breastfeed my 1st or 2nd, but I did my 3rd. I tried to breastfeed my 2nd, but there were some issues and it didn't work out. I was young when I had my 1st and I didn't know how much better breastfeeding is for them.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 4:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010