Do you let your 3 year old dictate what they want to eat for dinnner?

My 3 year old daughter usually tells me what she wants to eat. I usually will give her that because when i make something different than what she told me she refuses to eat and it sometimes winds up on my floor!! I know alot of people will say they have to eat what you put in front of them, but sometimes you just don't want to deal with the battles. especially since there are numerous battles thru out the day with a 3 yr. old!!!. Can't meal time be simple and just give them what they want, with in reason of course!! She askes for mac n cheese, grilled cheese etc. I never would give her cookies or snacks for a meal!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• HA!! no.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I give her 2 options. That's it. If she doesn't like one of them, then she doesn't have to eat, I don't even serve her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Not exactly, but I did try to include something he'd like.

Answer by Bmat at 4:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My Dd is 1 and she eats what we eat. If she doesn't eat enough and isn't full off of it, she has to wait until the next meal (snack before bed) to get full. She's still BF'ing, so I don't worry too much about her starving.
    But to each their own, if you want to spend your dinner time like this, then go ahead.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 4:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• HELL NO.

I have 3, ages 9,5,3... I refuse to let THEM run the house. I am not a personal cook, a maid, a housekeeper. I am mom, and they do what they are told. Meals included.
    Sounds like when the novelty of motherhood wore off, you decided it wasn't worth the work.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• obbydobbie, i like the way you think.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I did do that and regret it to this day. I thought I would go mad. I should have made sure there was one thing he liked in the meal we were all having and if he didn't want the rest so be it. It took years for him to finally eat what the rest of us had for dinner. He does sushi and everything now, but it could have been so much easier.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't let my son 'dictate' anything...because he is 3. HOWEVER, depending on what I make I may give him options for something else.. They have taste buds just like us, and don't like certains things...Of course all his options are nutritional and whatnot, but choices isn't a bad thing... I am not going to eat somethig if i don't like it, so how can I force him? My son is a good eater though and doesn't give me much problems.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I dont see why you shouldnt do what works for you and your family. We do the same thing, I refuse to starve my child to teach him a "lesson" eating what I say. He eats healthy stuff he just dosent always eat what we eat. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 4:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010