Switching from Formula to Cow's Milk

I've tried to give my 12 mo. old cow's milk in a sippy cup and she wasn't interested. So, I've slowly been adding a few ounces to each bottle of formula. Should we try to go cold turkey? I don't have much formula left and don't really want to go out and buy more when she should be drinking regular milk. Right now she takes five bottles a day, should I keep with the five times a day or cut down the number of bottles? Please advise.

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Use it up until the formula is all gone mixed with the milk when you do offer the whole milk to her make sure she is thirsty and give her alittle bit that way she can ask for more eventuallyshe will drink especially if you add chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup in it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• try giving her flavored milk. plus, let her see you drink it. i got mine to drink from my cup first. plus, which one are you giving her, 2% or whole? but i would try the flavors, my kids loved the banana milk. if you drink coffee using the flavored creamers, put a few drops in her milk. its awesome!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Maybe its the milk. My hubby likes 2%, I like 1%. My kids prefered the 2%. However, one day my oldest and hubby had 'fresh farm' milk at a friends house. They loved it. So I bought whole milk. Now that's all anyone will drink.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• our doctor told us he needed to have whole milk until he was 2, and we just put the whole milk in the bottle instead of the formula. we did warm it like we warmed the formula at first and then we started giving it to him cold gradually - now he drinks 6oz 4 x a day.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son is 13 months and he didn't want the milk at first in a cup. I gave him half whole milk and half formula in his bottles for about 2 days. Then I just want completely to whole milk in his bottles. He was getting 5 bottles a day. I also was heating it up for him. I slowly started taking bottles away as I was getting him used to sippy cups. Could it be she's not liking the cup? Maybe try some different cups with her. My son loves his cups with a straw. I eventually got him down to a morning and night bottle. We took the morning away and just recently took his night bottle away and he's doing great. GL.
    talestra

Answer by talestra at 4:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think it has to be gradual. I gave my twins whole milk at 11 mos. maybe a few times a week. We gradually increased it over a month elimating bottles along the way and replacing with a cup. By the time we took bottles away at 12 months they were barely getting 2 bottles a day anyway. It made it easier for them to give up. The night time bottle was last to go. It was replaced with a cup of milk and a glow worm to sleep with. There was some crying the first 2 nights but that was all.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I tried gradually mixing more whole milk with formula, but I don't think it made much of a difference. When we finally just switched to whole milk, he didn't like it for almost a week. There were days when he barely drank 2-3 ounces, and I would just try to give him lots of liquidy/wet foods to keep him hydrated. But then he got used to it, and now he loves milk. I decided not to give him flavored milk because I don't want to get trapped into only being able to offer chocolate or strawberry milk... but I know it has worked well for others.

Don't worry about number of bottles... pay more attention to the ounces she is drinking (and ask your pediatrician for guidelines on how much is enough/too much). It's more about getting the calcium, proteins and fats that they need, and they should be getting most of it from the foods they eat, not from milk. Milk is just a healthy drink, not a primary source of nutrition anymore.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• When switching to whole milk the gradual method is best. The reason? Well there are a couple, 1 is that it lets her slowly adjust to the taste difference and 2 is that it allows her system to handle it better. The proteins are different so if you switch to quickly it can cause an upset tummy. As for the # of bottles.... it's not about the bottles so much as the oz of milk. Talk to your doc about that one. Also be on the watch for constipation as dairy can be highly constipating in some children.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010