how do i tell my son adult content

today i just found out that our 22 yr old son is possibly in the first stages to leaving us i dont kow how to take this information it but i dont know how we will tell our 19 yr old son he just loves his little big brother we have been telling him that his brother might not allways be with us but its come to were what do we do i dont thinks i a ready to tell him this are even to face this how do tell the rest of our families they have always tried to be there for us but this is just hard to say my husband is the same way as i am he doesnt know what to do or say we are not ready for this the doctor didnt really say how long but he expressed that he is in those stages i am scared to let go

lcr3

Asked by lcr3 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• whats wrong with your older son..
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Oh my goodness, my heart and prayers go out to you. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I would be gentle but call a family meeting and just lay it out on the table, there's no use in sugar coating things if there's not much sugar around, ya know? :( Let everyone feel and say whatever they need to. Try to be there for them the best you can, especially your 22 yr old, whatever he's going through, I'm sure he's terrified. Good luck to you mama. :( :( :(
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear this. Maybe you could all meet with the doctor as a family so that any questions could be addressed at that time.
    Then you could have personal/family time w/o the doctor to allow for more family,personal/emotional questions. I can't imagine what you are going through, but I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am so sorry for you. I can only image how hard this must be. About 3 weeks ago we were told that out 8 year old DD might not make it. She was in a coma and they were not sure if she was going to wake up. Fortunately for us she did, and now we are moving forward with whatever damage was done.

I can only tell you to keep hopeful and if need be try to find someone to talk to. I am no expect in this area and I am sure you 19 year old already knows something is going on.

Sorry I do not have any words of wisdom to make this better. I would say lean on your friends and family.

Good Luck and God Bless!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am so sorry. I would think a 19 year old could handle the truth but only you really know that. If you all face the truth together as a family you will be stronger and can support each other through it.. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think we should always be honest with our kids... no matter what the age. If they know something is going on, and also know you are not being straight with them, it will permanently damage your relationship with them. Your family needs to come togehter and rally around your sick son, and help him spend his last days the way he wants not - not try to hide it or pretend its not happening.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It's a tough situation. My niece is handicapped, and when she was born the doctors gave her a year. Then they said she wouldn't live past four. Well, she just celebrated her 14th birthday this year. Every day I live with the fear of getting "that" call, and it actually happened last year. She got really, really sick and was in the hospital. The doctors told my sister it was likely to be the end, and we all dropped everything and went to her. (I live in Fl and flew to Colorado the day after I got the call.) It was a very emotionally exhausting time, for everyone, and hardest on my sister who was 9 months pregnant and due any day. Some how my niece pulled through again, but it was close. I think it helped my sister a lot that we all came and were there for her and my niece. If this is something you have been dealing with for a while, everyone should be expecting it, even if you've never talked about it. Call them, tell them,
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Don't let them miss out on the chance to say good bye.
    my2.5boys

• i honesltly dont know.. i have never been in this situation..my heart goes out to u..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Is there a grief counselor at the hospital? If so, see if you can make an appointment to talk about how to discuss this with your younger son, as well as how to manage your own grief. I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2010