How do I get my stepchild to behave?

My stepdaughter is 3. she's with her mom for a month and then we get her for 2 weeks. the problem is her mom beleives she should be "free" and doesn't discipline her. She jumps on the furniture,litters, hits children (is ready to get kicked out of daycare her mom says) and has horrible manners (chews with her mouth open etc.

I spend the whole first week working with her and by the time she goes home, she doesn't do these things. When we get her back we have to start all over again.her grandparents don't help either, they give her whatever she wants, whenever she wants and don't even try to get her to say please or thank you. she orders them around like servants and they jump, so she thinks it's okay to be like that. when other children are playing with her (and her toys) and she hits them and takes things away from them. all her grandmother says is "well they're HER toys"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING IT CAN BE A LONG PROCESS ESPECIALLY WITH HER GOING BACK AND FORTH ITS BECAUSE SHE IS NOT BEING DISCIPLINED BY OTHER PEOPLE
    bsmitley_69

Answer by bsmitley_69 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We used to have to do the same thing with my son when he used to go to his mothers house. Stick with it and as she gets older she will start knowing what is expected at your house. She will also test you but just keep with it an it will work.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 4:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• just make sure she knows that its not tolerated at your house - she might not like it but will learn that you are right in teaching her these things -
    you cant controll her when she isnt with you - do everything you can for her when you are available to her!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008