How many of you are NOT putting your kids in preschool? Please Read

Hi my daughter is almost 4. She is very bright & advanced for her age and ready for Kindergarten. I notice when meeting some new Mom's and when asked if I am putting her in preschool and I say I am not sure or probably not I can feel this look and judgmental tude come off of them. First of all its no ones business why we decide not to, and it is not mandatory. I will be taking her to a Government run program 2 days a week where I stay with her so she can socialize with other kids and learn things. I don't agree with paying $100 - $150.00 per month for 2 days a week/2hours per class? thats very expensive and we all can't just do it or have other family members help paying for this! I am a stay at home Mom now and quit my job of 15 yrs to raise my two children and nothing makes me more angry then attitude like that or making someone feel beneath you! My kids are well taken care of, bright & loved. Anyone feel the same out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I posted a similar question but who is sending their child. ;) I am in a similar situation as you. Trin is pretty advanced, and we go to church twice a week (she goes to her own class). I have been at home with the children for the better part of 17 (ok almost 18) years. I am maybe considering putting her PS a couple of days a week for some personal downtime. I totally agree with you about the extra money for PS. If other parents/people give you attitude or whatever about not putting your child in PS, honestly that's their issue not yours. You have made the choice to keep your children at home, and that is commendable.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 5:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Mine goes to daycare for socialization and I can teach her all the things that she needs for preschool.

I am with you on the money aspect and will not be sending my DD either.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You have taken parenting very seriously and do not need the help of preschool like other parents do, so makes sense they do not understand you.
    toorandmom

Answer by toorandmom at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• the only one of my kids that has been in preschool is my 4 year old and she goes becuase of cognitive and speach delays. i think its unnessesary(sp sorry) as long as the parent is doing their part to get their child ready for kindergarten.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I feel guilty and bad for not putting my 4 y/o son in preschool. He is very smart and has never been in daycare or anything...but we are in a tough spot financially right now. We make too much for the free public preschool and not enough to pay for school. I just make sure he gets pleanty of learning opprotunities at home, educational dvds and such and that is the best i can do. it's a shame that money sometimes dictates our lives but it does. Just work with them at home and they have pleanty of years of school ahead of them. But i do feel guilty at times...
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't know anyone who's kids went to pre-school. It's just not the norm here. My DH wants us to send our kids, but I see no point. There isn't any need for it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• well more than likly i won't be either for the same reasons and many more but child is advancing in their studies very well at home and spends time with other children of his age and very outgoing i don't pay them any attention my child my decision.. i wish OOPS LOL
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 5:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The program you will be taking her to sounds great. Be confident in your decision and don't worry what others think. best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've always sent my kids, but that is me. AND I don't look down or care whether someone does or does not take their kids to preschool.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If its the right choice for your family, then its the right choice. If you want to homeschool a little try www.abeka.com. The homeschool moms in MN I've met swear by it. My SD's mom put her in pre-school. She walked out knowing the same amount in spring as she did when she walked in there in the fall. Waste of money. Then she spent 1/4 of Kindergarten learing it all again. My son did not go to pre-school and is no different than his contempories he's met that have gone. My daughter will be going to ECFE classes because the idea of sharing and waiting your turn is beyond her. I can't figure out how to help her get it. Believe in yourself and decisions. Only you know your child.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010