sits on potty but no luck

My dd turned 2 in may and weve been sitting on the potty for months now. Well its probably been 6 weeks since shes peed in her potty. Shell sit there for about 30 minutes 3 times aday and read or watch a show. I think she holds it in...any suggestions?

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd wont even sit there long enough for anything...try to get like a chart and stickers and candy and tell her she will get a reward if she goes
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• By now, you should be noticing when she needs to go...look for the cues. Get rid of diapers and pullups.

Otherwise, she may not be ready. My DD used her potty as a chair for about 6 months before she was ready to actively potty train.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Don't push it. I wouldn't have her sit on the potty for 30 mins even if she is watching tv or reading a book. I would take her in there more often and just let her sit for like a min or two and if she uses the potty GREAT, make sure to make a huge fuse over her going potty in the potty. However if she doesn't go potty in the potty still tell her how proud you are of her for trying. Encourge her to use the potty but don't be pushy about it. I have now potty trained 2 kids and working on my third. My youngest isn't 2 yet and she goes into the bathroom on her own and takes off her diaper and will use her potty on her own. I have never pushed the potty thing on her, I have let her do it all on her own. I would also suggest everytime you go take her with you and have her go potty when you do. Just be patient with her.
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i use to bring my dd every 20 mins and let her sit there for a few mins and when she would do something she would get lots of praise and a candy!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 5:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Fist of all you have to be 100% commited to making this happen. If you even have the slightest bit of not wanting to then it will not work for either of you. I took three days off work and tried the three day potty training method, but it only took two days for us. I took off her bottoms and undies and watched her like a hawk. I literally didnt leave her side for two days. Whenever she started to pee I would hurry and put her on the potty.(I kept one in her room too.) And then, even if she only got a little in the toilet I would make a big deal out of it and give her a prize from the dollar store.(I bought a bunch.) After a couple days of doing this she started doing it on her own and there was no going back. Good luck!!!
    BusyBee908

Answer by BusyBee908 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am a strong believer if the child isn't ready don't push.
    Laura H.

Answer by Laura H. at 11:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My little one is 25 months.... we have a RITUAL now... when she sits on her potty mommy has to sit on the Big potty and count 1-2-3 and go pee pee with her... if i don't have to go i tell her "SHHHHH listen for your pee pee" and she goes... good luck this potty training thing is HARD!!!!
    Jacky S.

Answer by Jacky S. at 4:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• She may not have to pee within that 1.5 hours she is on the potty total. It'd be better to put her on for 5 minutes every 30 minutes than for a 30 minute session. She's not learning to go potty like she should. She shouldn't be going 3 times a day - she should go when she needs to.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010