How to get my 5 year old DD to listen?

She has hit a point in her life where she just won't listen, I tell her to do something and she has a smart answer for why she shouldn't do it!! What can I do?!?

SusieQue717

Asked by SusieQue717 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Find the nastiest chore for her to do and when she decideds she won't listen, she gets to do the chore.

She's old enough to clean out trash cans. Also, if she won't do that, she can sit next to them until she does decide to listen.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My SD8 thought she knew more than me early this summer. Therefore, I made her mom for the day. I treated her like she treated me. My kids (5 and 4) treated her like she had taught them to treat me. She made it two hours before she broke down crying and saying sorry. She also started correcting their behavior after saying it wasn't nice.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• if i tell my son to do something and he goes to make an excuse.. or smart mouth i tell him the only thing i want to hear form you is yes mom.. if you need to say something else tell me after you are done doing what i asked you.. if you choose not to do what it i say you can sit on time out until you are ready to do whatever it is you asked them to do.. or if they are throwing a fit i tell him to step into the bathroom chill out and come out when you are ready to talk nicely.. and 100% of the time he takes a deep breath and stops crying and we nicely talk.. it may take awhile but if you stick to your guns it will work! My DH sometimes forgets to use my little Technic of letting trev choose and is very damanding and it is always a blow up.. just talk to her and let her know its is her choice weather or not she wants to listen, and she can chooses weather or not she want to go on time out or listen to you.. plan and simple! :)
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Is there anyone around the house that models that behavior for her? I would just stay consistent and keep reminding her of how she should respect you! Like when she smarts off re-ask the question so she has the chance to give an appropriate answer. You will do yourself a favor! GL!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well, my DH is a smarty pants, and if I ask him to do anything I get an excuse, not a smart answer... I'm sure I have to talk to him about that too, especially since we have #2 on the way, I really don't need two kids, and a husband doing that... he's just extremely hard headed and it always turns into a fight!
    SusieQue717

Comment by SusieQue717 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010