What would u do if the principal and the teacher keep on complaining about your child that is only in kinder even though hes got a disorder?

My son has pervasive developmental disiorder and hes really hyper and yesterday and today all the teacher and assistant principal did was complain about him and started b*tching at me saying "and why and why is he like that" even though I already showed them proof hes got a disorder. The want me to give him meds monthrough friday to keep him still but the bad thing is that those meds make him not want to eat, and not even drink anything. I dont know if I should just change him schools or take him out of kinder or if its mandatory. They want me to give them a pet leash for him and they say that the teacher aide had to stop being with the other teachers to come to his teacher to help her with him. dont know what to do, what do u suggest? Its horrible having them giving me attitude about him everyday and today they said he supposedly slipped off the chai, cause he had a cut on his lip and they put ice on him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in

• I would go talk to the school board about it, cause that school obviously isn't teacher equipped to handle children with developmental disorders.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Does he have an IEP? If not, get one!! Maybe you can get a one to one aide for him in the classroom

Also, while I understand the not wanting to give meds, I really do, but there are several different meds you can try and if he is running all over the place, he is NOT LEARNING so you are not doing him any favors by just letting him run around. If meds aren't an option,try behavior therapy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• well have you considered home schooling in most state it's not mandatory for a child to start kindergarten until age 6 or 7. I'd consider home school I have a couple kids that have had the same problems because they have a few disorders and the school staff has been a pain in the back side for me too. I would also consider if you can see if he can work with a behavioral therapist once a week they may be able to also help you out with the situation with the school too. best of luck.
    momof5monsters

Answer by momof5monsters at 5:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Is this a public or private school? Because public schools usually set up individualized education plans for special needs kids, and they can be very helpful.

Go above the principal's head, in any event.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would investigate other schools to place my child in.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 5:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'm so sorry the school is like that! What meds does your child take? My son was diagnosed PDD-NOS 6 mos ago - before that, everyone knew *something* was off, but didnt know what. If he's on meds like Adderall (like my son is) and its killing his appetite - give him carnation instant breakfast - lots of good stuff and it's like having a chocolate shake. Also, taking him off of his meds for a day or so can cause withdrawals and make his behavior worse. PM me if you want to chat, want to hear more about Alex's adventure from being "the bad kid" to being diagnosed and what we did about it... anything.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• A leash??? That is so disrespectful!

I would go above the principals head...and homescool him.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 5:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• go talk to the board. then if you can swing it, sit in on one of his classes. if the school fights you, call the board on them right then and there.
    plus, you said no to meds, (i don't blame you) have you ever tried herbs? my hubby's ex co-worker used it on both his kids and they had no problem. they got it from a viatmin store.
    this is my favorite brand, they make teas. check out their website and see if it will help you. if not, contact them and they might be able to point you inthe right direction. good luck. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would go above his head & set up a meeting with you, his teacher & someone higher up on the chain.... Some teachers just dont want to "deal" with a child that has issues & every day things that even children without medical problems do against them. I would have been upset that they wanted me to get a leash...... Try getting an IEP, the school should be working with you, not against you to come up with a answer that will not only make you happy, them happy, but your child the best learning they can get....

as for the meds, my friend has a child, thats "a problem" child and the school told her med him or take him out, so she took him out & started homeschool. She gives him fish oil pills, they seem to help him focus. Look on line to see what kind of natural things you can try out.
    Not all meds are bad, & most times they can be helpful....... its worth a shot if it means your child can learn the best he can.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I did not mean any disrespect, but I've been there. My son, who was diagnosed with PDD NOS (an autism spectrum disorder) at age 3. I didn't want to put him on meds. I was hoping straight behavior therapy would work, for him, it wasn't working. One day I realized that by not trying to find something to help him, I was doing him a disservice as he was NOT learning anything and he was distracting all the other kids in the classroom as well. He was kicked out of two different preschools prior to me having my epiphany. He already had an IEP and was in Early Intervention, but I needed in childcare/preschool too, as I was a single mom.I found a doctor who listened to me. We started low doses and raised them slowly until we found what worked and didn't make him a zombie. ADD meds to not work on his at all, they make him crazy. We are on other behavior meds, which combined with the therapy has been wonderful
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010