Is a chat room still dangerous (for adults too) if....

1. if no personal info is shared (at least kept vague or completely false)
2. no plans to meet this person in real life are made

Just text on a screen then isn't it?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not really, when you get on line at any time, you opening your self up to a world of theifs, crazies, hackers, ect ect ect. Somtimes they only need your IP address to get your personal information. Make sure you have a great antivirus program & a firewall.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have never understood this idea that chat rooms are dangerous. I don't generally like them, but just because I find them boring. I've never seen any reason to avoid them out of safety concerns...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Wouldn't CafeMom be considered a "chat room?!" Especially the "instant chat" feature in the bottom right corner of this page and in groups?!

I know that it's considered a chat SITE and is blocked from schools and businesses!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Hmm that's a good question. I would say if no real life location/contact info is being exchanged it would be safe physically. I guess there could still be an element of emotional danger.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 5:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've chatted with a group of moms online for nearly 7 years now. You're always at risk of someone harming you, regardless of whether or not you're online. I've also met 3 people from this chat. I met my DH 10 years ago in a chat room, and met around 6-8 other women from that same chat. As long as you're not giving out very personal information I don't see the issue. I treat it the same as if I were to meet someone in a coffee shop or at my child's school.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Statistically, you're not very likely to be stalked or tracked down over something like a chat room, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Any time you connect to any website or use a client that connects via the internet, there are people who have access to your ip, and not necessarily just the people you're talking to - it's all the behind the scenes people that run every connected server along the way, and the people who run the website. Every time you use one that requires you to register, even if you use fake info, you are leaving a trail that someone can trace.

It's not in anyone's best interests to just assume anything online can be made completely safe, anymore than it's a good idea to assume that just because there are no registered sex offenders in your neighborhood, your neighborhood is completely safe.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• -cont'd

It's also not really safe to assume that everyone you are talking to has the same attitude about it you do - just text on a screen. You are interacting with real people and you have no idea how sane or stable (or insane and unstable) they may be. What seems harmless to you may be serious to them, and that increases the chance of someone getting hurt or mad enough to try to track you down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Chat rooms? I have never participated and don't feel the need to in the future. That is going a little too far , in my opinion. You CAN get way too involved with the Internet.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Lori! Shaming me is not allowed!!! ;)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That's common sense
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010