how do i balance 2 full time jobs and being a loving mother and wife?

i have a full time waitressing job and my husband just started his own business that i spend every free second doing paperwork. i feel like i am going crazy i have no time for home and kids what can i do to balance a very busy life with 6 kids and a husband and a business. any suggestions

winterj

Asked by winterj at 5:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• scedule. It may seem like a simple thing but if you write everything you have to do down and plan it out you will see some times where you can double up to do two things at once. Like maybe taking some of the PW to work with you to do during slow times or breaks.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Is there any thing that the kids can help out with like laundry etc? Don't know their ages but maybe there are additional things that they can help with. Not to take advantage of them, but just to help ease the load on you. Just an idea.......... I hope the new business works out for you. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I barely can manage a full time and a part time job and ONE kid...my hat is off to you. I see from your profile that the oldest of the bunch is 12... not too young to be of assistance, whether it's just stuff around the house or even helping with keeping some of the business stuff organized (my brother was helping my dad with his business at 14); that is, if you feel he is responsible enough.

Prioritize. It's key for me. What's MOST important? What MUST be done by you, and what can you have others do?

I had to decide that the house wouldn't fall down if I didn't clean it weekly.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You cannot balance all of that. This may not be what you want to hear, but is it true. You are only one person, and people can only get so many things done in a day. Something has got to give, or you will break.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• thanks for all the suggestions i have tried asking the kids to help but my voice goes unnoticed on most days the oldest is 12 and he helps in the shop part of the business its an auto machanics shop. i can't leave my waitressing job due to that at the moment its the only income we have. everyday is a struggle to keep my mind together so that i don't forget the important things but it still happenes quit often. i dont want to quit helping the business for fear of disappointing my husband. i feel hopeless
    winterj

Comment by winterj (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I understand what you are going through. I have 7 kiddos (ages 11, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4, and 3) but I don't have a job outside of the home. We are homeschoolers & that is a challenge sometimes (but well worth it). I have each child on a schedule & they do chores. This is a link to show what my daily schedule looks like. http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/madametriv/Schedule_Summer-1.jpg
    Of course, everyone's schedule will be different but this will give you an idea if you have never made one before.

Personally, I would make a chore list & divide the chores out (make them age appropriate). There is no reason a 12 year old shouldn't be able to do laundry to help out in addition to other things. I'm sure that the other kids can manage to clean the living room, kitchen, dining room, etc. Make assignments per room or zone (area). Get your husband on board and then hold them accountable for what they don't do.

Good luck

7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 6:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It is too much for one person. My only suggestion would be ask the kids to help during the week and then plan something with them that you can do together possibly on the weekends.. You have to make some time for the kids or you will spend the time getting them out of trouble. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Your children can't just ignore you. That's a problem. They've got to have chores and help out, whether you work 2 jobs or not. Also, if you're working 2 jobs and your husband is working 1, I hope he's doing a good bit!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010