Does any one else think it's wrong for their child's public school to pass out church fliers?

Wow, I just asked a question the other day about telling some one I don't want to go to church....now my child comes home with a flier from a local church inviting them to attend. A few years ago, there was a note sent home that said, and I quote, "all children are asked to bring a Christmas gift for Mrs. Brown's church." Yes, it's a good cause, but I can barely afford gifts for my 3 kids, much less for kids in a church I don't even attend! My kids go to public school. I don't think this is okay. If a church wants to invite people to attend, I think they should stick to signs outside their church and fliers at store fronts. Does your child's school send out church invitations?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That seems very wrong, i would check with your state statutes and see if its actually against the law, then i would contact the principal and/or school board and let them know what is going on if they don't already know. children should not be pressured into attending church by their teachers and friends at school, and you know all little kids think that notes sent from school are "must do's" :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Meh, as long as they don't tell my child he HAS to attend, I can just toss it in the trash. But, I wonder, (not that I would do this) how would the people passing these invites out feel if a local Pagan group passed out fliers to the students?? Would parents be flipping out?
    The gift thing would have me more than a little peeved thought.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 6:21 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes. A PUBLIC school should NOT be passing our church related materials at all! It's very disrespectful to the parents who have different beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, this is definitely off limits. What state are you in? I wonder if the principal and the school board are aware of this?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Just checked and I read it is not against the law for kids to pass out religious fliers if it does not interfere with the instruction. A school can teach the Bible as history and have a moment of silence for prayer. The gift for her church is the teacher's issue. Was it for poor families with no Christmas or what was the guideline for that. That is voluntary. If you don't feel you can contribute or don't want to then don't do it. We can all do things to help the needy in other ways. We can learn about any religion in a public school.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 7:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yup i am a firm believer in seperation of church and state. Religion has NO place in the public school system
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No my school doesn't do anything like this. Does the school district have guidelines for what advertising they allow.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• WHAT?!?!? that is crazy and in NO way appropriate. I would write a letter to principal and if he/she condones it then take it to the school board. This teacher is way overstepping boundaries....and asking for gifts for her church?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Ugh, I'd be pretty pissed. If it were a private or religious school, that's a different story... but a public school, not at all appropriate.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Congress will make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. We do not have any religion in this country that you are forced to be a part of. We also are free in any public school to exercise that religion freely. As long as the school is not the one organizing the function. it can be done. There is Meet Me At the Flagpole all over the U.S.A. This is kids getting together to pray for school and country. It is coming up in September. I have been in Bible clubs on campus. There are now afterschool Bible clubs in grammer schools still operating. There could also be Jewish club if someone wanted to organize it or whatever religion wanted to take part in this. These are not organized by the school but they are free to have them. No one is forced to attend these things. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010