A sincere question for Mormons about their churches/temples.

My husband and I have this ongoing argument and I thought I would try to get some feedback from Mormons. Are your churches that are in towns called "churches" or "temples"? Or are there only a few temples that are a more sacred place where more sacred rituals and things are done?

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 5:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The local buildings are called Churches, or Wards/Brances. We will not ask you to leave unless you are disrupting the service or like...naked,lol. Anyone and everyone is welcome. A Temple is where sacred ordinances are preformed. Temple marriages, family sealings etc. You do have to be a member to enter a dedicated Temple, and hold a Temple recommend. The recommend is a card that has been signed by both the Bishop of your Ward, and the Stake President. It basically says that you are a worthy Member. You pay tithing and keep the word of wisdom(a basic set of health codes. No drinking, smoking, etc). It is restricted because it is such a sacred place. However, before a new Temple is dedicated, they do have tours open to the public.

If you do want to know more(or anyone else on this thread) check out www.LDS.org or www.mormon.org
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 12:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Most of the buildings you'll see around are just "churches" aka "ward buildings" or "stake centers" (the difference is generally size and the size and # of people)... this is where most of the general meetings happen. Every Sunday, and other activities during the week. Anyone is welcome in these buildings (assuming they're open). (Though if you're not dressed appropriately or are misbehaving they'll probably ask you to leave.)

There are far fewer "temples". You can get information about their locations, what happens there, etc. at http://lds.org/temples/home/0,11273,1896-1,00.html . When they're initially built they generally have an open house type thing where just about anyone can come and see it (though as I understand it may be restricted by tickets or something. I've never actually gone at that type of time). Once they're dedicated, it's restricted access. Only church members with "temple recommends" are allowed inside.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thank you!! I was right! :)
    Laura2U

Comment by Laura2U (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• LOL. What did you win for being right?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• brainwash centers... j/k
    the above answers are right. We'd go to churches and temples.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I won him saying "Okay, so you were right.", which was sweet enough!
    Laura2U

Comment by Laura2U (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• lol...i love when my husband admits i was right and i can say i told you so.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• haha sounds like he confused Mormons with those who are Jewish! Jewish folk generally worship in temples
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010