im scared im not cut out for breastfeeding...

its been a month, and breastfeeding my son still hurts me! i have tried to get advice from family members but dont have much support for breastfeeding anyways so they just teel me to give him formula. so i have been doing both formula and breastfeeding. but i know that breastmilk is way healthier and i just want the best for my son but it hurts and i can feed him a half hour on each breast and he is still hungry. i feel like he is not getting full.

Mrs.Arias

Asked by Mrs.Arias at 5:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is still nursing because your formula supplementing has dwindled your supply. He is doing supply and demand. He wants more so he nurses more to prompt your body to make more milk.

You should be drained in 15 minutes or so on each side. Are you sure that he isn't nursing for comfort instead of really being hungry?

also, call the local hospital and see if they have a lactation consultant or can they help you in the right direction for one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• he is probably not latching on properly. i would contact a lactation consultant. his tongue should be down and his mouth should be open very wide. if it hurts detatch and try again. the tongue placment is very important for your comfort and for extraction. if hes not sufficiantly getting the milk out your production will go down.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• let him eat as long as he wants (breastfeeding) when he is full he will unlatch himself. My dd sometimes would take up to an hr eating because she would fall asleep while i was breastfeeding her..lol
    It is going to hurt when you first start breastfeeding, it really hurt my for like 2 or 3 months until my breast got used to it.
    Just keep switching him every 1/2 hr and like i said when he is full he will unlatch himself.
    Good luck mama!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 5:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you are not cut out for it, don't worry! I was not either and my 2 girls are very healthy at ages 33 and 31!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 5:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• First, there is no time limit to how long he "should" nurse. EVERY baby is different, and they feed differently- a lesson I had a hard time learning too. One of mine would nurse for 45 minute stretches, and another would be full in only 15. They just fed differently.

If you suppliment, you ensure that you lose your supply- He will nurse longer to help you produce more milk, but that does not mean that he is not getting enough. They also do this when they are growing, and need more, so nurse as frequently, and for as long as he wants- he will also nurse for comfort, which is absolutely fine, and helps you both.

Get in touch with your Local La Leche League chapter, and get in touch with a lactation consultant. They will help offer you support, and teach you how to get him properly latched so that it does not hurt.

Lastly, pat yourself on the back. You deserve it. Hang in there. Feel free to msg me any time :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Before you quit, seek out a lactation consultant. Give them a chance to help you. If it still isn't working for you and you are absolutely hating it, consider pumping. While breastfeeding is best, if you are dreading it/hating it, you are missing the forest for the trees so to speak. Its not the end of the world if you quit and you may that it was hindering your bonding if you were absolutely not enjoying it, but you also don't want to look back 6 months from now and say "I wish I would have tried harder" Good luck and ((BIG HUGS))
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My daughter in love was having the same problem, but she kept working through it. Your doctor should be able to refer you to a lactation consultant. My daughter in love had a few appointments until the milk started flowing. It really does hurt, but I think it gets easier. Personally I only made it through two weeks of breast feeding. I admire the determination my daughter in love had.
    KrazyDaisy

Answer by KrazyDaisy at 5:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Of course you are cut out for it. You are a woman after all. The issue is that you lack the support you'd should be getting from experienced women and growing up surrounded by it. You should contact your local LLL www.llli.org You may need help with latch or your baby may be suckling odd because the nipples on the bottles or pacifiers. I had sore nipples for about a month (like saddle sore). I had trouble with latch at first so the first week hurt excrutiatingly while I had the issue worked out, and after that it was the soreness of use but every day it got better. I didn't have a village either...I created my own with books and the internet. I wasn't going to let the ignorance around me run me off the road.
    Check out www.drjacknewman.com and also www.kellymom.com
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Man, there were times when DD would be latched on and going to town for 45 minutes. Of course I had no problem with this since she had good latches and it wasn't uncomfortable. Definitely get some help from someone that knows what they're doing. Doc, lactation consultant (I <3 the ones they had at the hospital! We wouldn't have made it without them!), La Leche League, etc.

You may want to try out a nipple shield. They're a soft flexible silicone thing that fits on top of the nipple, and ends up shaped a bit more like a bottle's nipple. I used them a bit in the very beginning because of over engorgement DD was having a hard time getting her mouth over the nipple. Even if she hadn't been able to get the hang of things without the shield, I'd have preferred using the nipple shield every time over having to pump every time.

GOOD LUCK! Patience and practice. No one is a pro immediately.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Step one... drop the formula. Down the toilet is a good place. **smile**

Step two... drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We've helped HUNDREDS of moms just like you.

Do you have two breasts? THen you ARE cut out for it IF YOU WANT TO DO IT. All that's needed is the desire.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010