How can I get my 17 yr old son off his butt to get a job?

lbjd457

Asked by lbjd457 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• why is he not in school?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am with you. I'll watch this post for good suggestions.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 5:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You need to give him reasons why it would be a good idea and all the things he could do with a little spending money. Most teenagers need spending money of their own to buy clothes, gadgets, takeout food, etc.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• tell him all employees at fast food joints get to play their game boys in between customers??

IS he in school??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 17 year old decided that he wanted money to do things like take his girlfriend to a movie or go to get a burger with his friends. I don't give him money for those activities, so he earns it himself.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He quit school last year
    lbjd457

Comment by lbjd457 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Tell him if he is not in school he needs to start his working career no matter what job it is. That adults pay rent where they live and rent is now expected of him. Make it a reasonable amount. Discuss the new rules and stick to it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well if he isnt in school and he isnt working.... I would check with the law and see what options you have. If they are minors Imnot sure if you can kick him out or not. But I would give him only the bare bare bare minimum to live and NO cash.

Our rule growing up was college or on your own. Hubby's home to.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Quit providing for him. Make sure he has the necessities, but don't give him money for gas, food, dates, nothing. He'll get tired of being stuck at home with no money to do anything.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Since he quit school last year, then he would have a choice, either get a job or get back in school but I will not tolerate him not having some type of direction in his life!
    In the state I live in a child cannot be out of school unless the child has graduated from high school or I'll get in trouble....but a law wouldn't have to tell me that because one of my children decided to quit school and I enrolled him in an Adult School to get his Diploma...I will not tolerate laziness!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010