Why Isn't There a Small Business Bailout?

Actually, I will pose this to both conservative and liberal. I voted for Obama, because he said that Small Business is what we were built on. Bush said the same thing. However, year after year, there is no small business support in the Exec or Legislative branch - but they sure as hell run on it every year. So, why can't we get one?

urkiddingright

Asked by urkiddingright at 6:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• small business don't need bail outs... they need more ways to get money. things like grants and loans with low interest rates. if the business is sound it just needs a little help to get going. my husband and i are doing well, but to exspand we need a loan to get another towtruck. we can't get anything because we have only owned this business for a year. if there was a way for us to borrow the money, we could pay it back in less than a year. without that money, we can't grow anymore than we have. their is no way for us to save the money needed with the amount of business we have now, but if we get a new truck, our business would double because all the more services we could offer.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I own 3 small businesses. I don't need or want a bailout. What I need is the govt OUT of my business. Reduce taxes and regulations so I can grow.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Because they don't donate millions of dollars to politicians, of course.
    SavageJane

Answer by SavageJane at 6:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Because they actually want government control of business, and small business creates competition for them. As a small business owner, however, I would NEVER take a bailout from the government. That means that the government would own a portion of my business.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• mommom2000, did you seriously think that the big banks were going to take risks on small business owners in this economy? They used the bailout money to line their own pockets with raises and bonuses. The trickle-down theory has never worked, just ask Reagan.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Sisteract

Your question presumes that if one does not rely on government for prosperity, then one is doomed to fail. This is false premise. A business can survive without the "help" of government. Furthermore I do not own a business for the good of the community; I own aa business for the good off my family. I don't seek a profit in order to create jobs; I seek profit in order to create income upon which my very survival depends on. I am not a fan of big business a.k.a corporatism which is antagonistic to capitalism. If big business wants tosell their soul to the devil by taking bailout money, then that is on them.

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Family only ... I'm not interested in getting rich - only providing for my family. I also didn't make the claim that all small businesses think the same as me. Most certainly some small businesses would like to become big business, but you still don't need corporatism OR big government in order to accomplish this. When we say this country was built on small businesses, it means that the government didn't "help."
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree OP! Its the small businesses who employ local citizens and the big businesses are the one's who are sending the jobs overseas! The Govt. should be focusing on/aiding the small businesses to repair the economy.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• So Gal, you (and I'm assuming many other small business owners) would rather go out of business as opposed to accepting a bailout and be beholden to the government? How does that help the economy or provide jobs? Small business owners should be just as much, if not MORE angry at big business, as well as the government. Big business buys and sells the politicians and entraps the US economy in their strangle hold in the process.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• small businesses are suffering ... I don't argue that one bit. But government bailouts are not the answer, they only confound the problem.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010